What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for critique and possibly help with an old photo facial restoration

openforum2011

Hey everybody... I'm new here, and look forward to being active in this forum. I'm fairly new with Photoshop, but I've become adapt to it quite quickly. I've been working on a very difficult old photo restoration over the last few weeks, and was wondering if I could get some feedback/critique/help with it.

Here's the original photo:

xxRlzQt.jpg

And here's my work so far:

WITH MORE EYE SHADOWING
GAJYO7e.jpg

WITH LESS EYE SHADOWING
x6bHqxr.jpg

Thanks for checking it out guys, and I look forward to being a member here.

Paul

Former Member
Welcome to the mad house mate, enjoy your stay here a great opening image transformation too.

openforum2011

Thanks guys for the quick warm welcome and compliments—I look forward to spending time on the forum. Any tips on improving the final product here? There probably isn't much else that can be done with so much of the original texture and definition missing..

Paul

Former Member
Maybe drop a sepia toned overlay on to it, and i would also pull back on the eyes and drawn features as good as they are, just a bit over powering.

openforum2011

Thanks for the advice, I've gone back to the original damage-stained eyes and tried just shading it pixel by pixel to give a more natural non-artificial look, and also added a Sepia Tone to it. Definitely seems improved, thanks again.
pYGOgaz.jpg
ERCsxQv.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
This is an excellent restoration, done patiently and with great care.
Hard to beat your result, even for a lot of experienced people in this forum.
BTW, the sepia tone looks really great.

Hybrus

Looking at it, for me it was a impossible restoration, even though I don't have experience restoring one.
excellent job by the way and welcome.