What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Washed up on the Beach

Some of you have noticed that I was away on a vacation.
Unfortunately, this is already a month ago, yet there still remain many beautiful memories of 2 wonderful weeks.
Now last night I had this strange dream. On the beach of the Seychelles island of Praslin my ancient Nikon F3 was stranded as flotsam.
Decades long I have not used this camera, and suddenly I see it in a huge size in the sand before me.
The idea to realize this dream in a PS composite really fascinated me.
OK here it is.

Washed Up1400.jpg

Click to enlarge.

Tom Mann

Guru
I love the touch showing the UV filter, lens cap and roll of film washed up nearby. I guess the meaning would have been too obvious if you had the young couple in the background taking a selfie with a cell phone, LOL.

Cheers,

Tom M

Paul

Former Member
Nice as it is Chris i think it needs warming up slightly.

ibclare

Queen Bee
I personally don't like the warmed up version. It is on a body of cool water.

Selfie? :naughty:

I used to have a real camera, back in the day. Nice elements. Makes me wonder if the couple are aware of the photo op! Maybe passed into the past . . . the way of all things.

I never answered anyone who asked me what my work was about. I would then ask them what they thought/saw. Enlightening. Most of the time it was not at all the idea I had in mind, but very informative.

It's a beautiful compostion, not as elaborate as some you do, but the "simplicity" gives it impact.

Hi Clare, nice to see you here again.
Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it.

The couple in my composite is from this image.

DSCN4435.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
Nice as it is Chris i think it needs warming up slightly.
I've got to disagree with this suggestion, Paul. It looks like the main background for the composite was photographed on a day with fairly solid cloud cover. The colors are (almost) always cooler on such days, not warm, at all. If you simply warm up the scene (as in Chris's experiment in response to your suggestion), to my eye, the colors on the ground look unrealistic for those sky conditions. I like the original better.

Another, distinctly different possibility, of course, is to try to turn the overcast day into a sunny day -- that's very different from just "warming it up", as it involves much more work, e.g., changing the sky, the color of the water, increase the depth of the shadows and general contrast ratio, make the shadows somewhat cooler while the sunlit areas have good, pure colors, etc. etc.

I spent a few minutes trying this, and wasn't at all happy with the way it was going and the amount of effort it was obviously going take to get it right, so I gave up on this approach after 5 or 10 minutes. Here's as far as I got.

57375d1437858470-washed-up-beach-washed-up1400-jpg-acr-ps02a_sRGB-02.jpg

I still like Chris' 1st version the best.

Cheers,

Tom M

Paul

Former Member
I've got to disagree with this suggestion, Paul. It looks like the main background for the composite was photographed on a day with fairly solid cloud cover. The colors are (almost) always cooler on such days, not warm, at all. If you simply warm up the scene (as in Chris's experiment in response to your suggestion), to my eye, the colors on the ground look unrealistic for those sky conditions. I like the original better.

Another, distinctly different possibility, of course, is to try to turn the overcast day into a sunny day -- that's very different from just "warming it up", as it involves much more work, e.g., changing the sky, the color of the water, increase the depth of the shadows and general contrast ratio, make the shadows somewhat cooler while the sunlit areas have good, pure colors, etc. etc.

I spent a few minutes trying this, and wasn't at all happy with the way it was going and the amount of effort it was obviously going take to get it right, so I gave up on this approach after 5 or 10 minutes. Here's as far as I got.

View attachment 57545

I still like Chris' 1st version the best.

Cheers,

Tom M

I meant the ACTUAL weather not the image compilation:rofl:

Thanks Tom for your kind words and your effort to create a "sunny" image.
The day on that beach was overcast, and whatever you do, you just can't get it right to look like real sunshine.
But thanks again Tom, it's a nice example, still looking natural.