What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with Photo Manip

gedstar

Guru
Thanks to Eggy and Chris, decided to get off my lazy arse and try and get back into Photo Manip

Here's what I've done so far, needs more work but I would really like some suggestions as to what I could add and any improvements I could make. Will post images used when it's finished

Scene2.jpg

Thanks in advance
Ged
P.S. haven't even got a name for it yet

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Ahhh, finally.
I'm glad Ged.
I hope you can fix the dent in your couch...:rofl:

Just kidding...

I just picked up the composition and will give it a good look before giving you some pointers.

Meanwhile you could consider getting rid of the moon. You see, from the patches of blue sky I can see above the peak, it seems to be the setting sun.
A setting sun and moon that close, I don't know if that will work.
Anyway, if you keep the moon, put a black layer over in and with a soft brush make only a small part of the left side clear. That side is exposed to the light of the sun.
You can play with the opacity of the black layer or a blend mode.

I'll be back

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Meanwhile you could consider getting rid of the moon. You see, from the patches of blue sky I can see above the peak, it seems to be the setting sun.
A setting sun and moon that close, I don't know if that will work.
Anyway, if you keep the moon, put a black layer over in and with a soft brush make only a small part of the left side clear. That side is exposed to the light of the sun.
You can play with the opacity of the black layer or a blend mode.
And don't forget to put the moon behind the clouds.

gedstar

Guru
Thanks guys Eggy new couch on the way, but this one will have spikes in it to stop me sitting down :cheesygrin:, yep the moon was a bit of rush job.
Sam, thanks for that, classic school boy error there on my part :banghead:

gedstar

Guru
Nice one Eggy, I like that. I'm thinking of adding something in front of the girl, looks like shes looking at something so will work on that and try out your effect
Thanks for the tips :thumbsup:

MrToM

Guru
...I would really like some suggestions as to what I could add ...
I think we can all see exactly what's missing from this otherwise excellent image...

penguin_island_MT_01.jpg

On a more serious note, it does need a focal point....at the moment there is nothing to instantly attract the eye.....is it the moon....the ship....the statue.....or the girl who's lost her contact lens?

When I first saw this I thought its a bit 1-2......difficult to explain but there is sky....so you put a moon in it.....there is water....so you put a ship on it....there is rock....so you put a statue in it....there is grass.....so you put a girl on it.....ya see what I mean? Every element has something in it.....almost as if you felt compelled that there should be at least something in everything.

Its good, but it needs more penguins.......or at least a focal point...if penguins don't quite fit the mood.

(Well you did ask!) :biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Hmmm, a bit too crowded there Chris.

I suggest to keep the key elements, the girl and the statue and lose the ship (they sink all the time don't they?)
Give the statue a lighter bronze weatherbeaten surface so it separates from the surrounding rocks.
Make the girl slightly bigger and place her in front of the statue.
Place a raven on top of the right rock.
Make sunbeams coming through the clouds.

But hey, just a suggestion...

Yes...too crowded I agree with you Eggy.
I would remove the statue, but this is just my personal opinion.
Sunrays are a nice idea, though I guess to implement this would be a very difficult task in this composite.
Let's see, maybe gedstar has some new ideas of his own.:thumbsup:

MrToM

Guru
Sorry gedstar

Can't find a tutorial for adding 'penguins'......I guess you'll have to leave them out for this one. :biglaff:

Regards.
MrUseless.