What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earth Nostalgia

Paul

Former Member
Nice one mate, my only real issue is with the shadows they are a little bit to strong in my opinion, and the window on the right needs to be given a slight perspective adjustment to look like it is on the flat wall.
Loving your continual creations though dude.

MrToM

Guru
Cool!

Reminds of the opening sequence to Red Dwarf and the guy painting the ship...

red+dwarf+2.PNG

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thank you all. Paul and hershy314, I'll fix the opacity of the shadows. And of course I'll adjust the perspective of the right window.
But thats just the funny part of it, I started with the right window (perspective ect) duplicated that layer, reduced it size and placed it as middle window, and again for the right window but still it looks a bit off.
MrToM, I don't know how this space station looks at the outside but it could definitly use some paintwork on the inside...

Again an excellent composite. I like the lighting. Very well done Eggy.
I agree with Paul's suggestions.
Just an idea: Why don't you try to place the red dwarf in the opposite window corner. Maybe this would also help to adjust the "Off feeling" .

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thank you Chris.
After contemplating the picture I saw others things I did not like or details that could be improved.
That's why I'm posting my projects here, to get feedback.
Well, I corrected the perspective of the right window.
So no need to change the position of the red dwarf. I think it's OK now.
I liked the position of the red dwarf and the old planet earth facing each other.
To make it easier for myself I got rid of one red light so only one shadow now.

Earth Nostalgia.jpg

So, if anything wrong, let me hear it.
:cheesygrin:

Last edited:
This looks a lot better Eggy.
Just one other thing: Your image takes very long to open. Maybe you should save it here in the forum with “medium jpeg quality".

MrToM

Guru
...it could definitly use some paintwork on the inside...
Why is he wearing a suit if he's on the inside?

Whatever....that's irrelevant, but I do think you need to tweak that right hand porthole a little more...

eggy_space_MT_01.jpg

...come to think of it, once you do that the middle one now looks like it could with a small tweak too......its so very nearly there but the brain still says its a little off.

I also think that the guy's reflection would be a little stronger too....not much but he's pretty close to the light source and the outside is pure black so the window would be more like a mirror than a pane of glass...or whatever they use in spacecraft.

That said its a great piece of work.........what about putting the other light back in but blinking..as if faulty....in a small animated gif?

Now there's a challenge for you! :biglaff:

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
@chrisdesign
I keep a jpeg of my projects in a separate folder in maximum quality. I forgot to reduce it to medium when I posted it. My mistake. :banghead:
@MrToM
I am going to tweek that image further and see how the result is. I'll post an update.

I also will try to make a small animeted gif. Don't expect too much, its my first time.

About the man wearing his suit inside, well I would too. You have our sun turned into a red dwarf, our blue planet not so blue anymore. Time has passed also for this 'spacestation'.
Looks like he's in a maintenance corridor. Is it safe without suit? I guess not and he seemes to know it.

:cheesygrin:

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Well, here's the gif MrT suggested I should make.

Earth-Nostalgie-motion.gif

Why is the animation only working in the preview and also, In my case, you have to click on the image to open it in a new window and only then the animation works?

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
...Well, here's the gif I MrT suggested I should make...
Excellent!

It wasn't quite what I meant but its just as good.....nice one! :thumbsup:

Why is the animation only working in the preview and also, In my case, you have to click on the image to open it in a new window and only then the animation works?
This is because the image is larger than the forum maximum of 700px.

Thats what I meant when I said...
...what about putting the other light back in but blinking..as if faulty....in a small animated gif?...
...so that it would display properly without having to open it first.

Totally my fault, should have made it clearer that was the reasoning behind it.

At least ya know now for future image posting. :thumbsup:
In fact as a general rule of thumb an area 700x700px is plenty big enough for most situations when posting images.....only if the intention is for someone to work on it should it need to be any bigger.

Keeping within this area cures most 'display' issues on the forum pages.

Anyway.....great job all round Eggy.

Regards.
MrToM.

PS...just noticed the light affects the planets outside too.....that's one high wattage bulb! :biglaff:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks MrTom for the explaination.

Am I seeing correctly? Is that a poppy flower in your avatar? That would explain a lot... :rofl:

And well, those darn windows, I forgot to mask them out... :banghead:

MrToM

Guru
...Thanks MrTom for the explaination...
No worries....its caught me out several times....just save out the gif to 700px wide and edit your post....(remembering to remove the old one from your attachments!).

...Am I seeing correctly? Is that a poppy flower in your avatar? That would explain a lot...
Yes it does....but its no laughing matter...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

...And well, those darn windows, I forgot to mask them out... :banghead:
There's always something isn't there?

Did you forget to change the perspective of those windows too?

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Yes it does....but its no laughing matter...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day
There's always something isn't there?
Did you forget to change the perspective of those windows too?
Regards.
MrToM.

I know all about it, it happened in my country. Let's hope it will never happen again! :shocked:

But on the bright side you can't blame me for using the effects of this flower to explain some of your expressions. ;)

Sometimes you want to finish quickly and what happens then? Right.

About those windows, I think I'm going to cheat a bit and use the content-aware scale and see what comes out.
If not, back to the drawing table...

MrToM

Guru
LOL...no worries.

Arn't those windows on their own layer?

When I did my example I just got the window on its own layer, as a copy of the original, and then used content aware fill to remove the original from the wall.

It did a pretty good job although it did take a couple of goes at it and a bit of clone and heal but it did the job.

Then I just scaled the window, the copy, until it looked ok.......you can only really go on how it looks in situations like this.

I found it easier this way than trying to scale both the window and the wall at the same time.

Just a thought.

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
MrToM

Yes, all parts are on their own layer.
I tried using content aware scale on the jpeg but it only works a bit on the right window.
The middle one has the astronaut in it so impossible to stretch it without giving the astronaut a funny look.
So I worked on my psd file.
I think this time I'm on it but be my judge...

Earth Nostalgia.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Yeah....that's the ticket...they don't look so 'head-on' now and fit much better.

Nice one. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.