What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New drawing...

Argos

Guru
Nice!! It's curious i see it for the first time and i see a bird with a large head, second time i see it, it's an one eye alien XD

God Job!!

MrToM

Guru
Refreshing to see someone using PS as more of a blank canvas on which to create....from scratch...excellent stuff. (That goes for all the other images you've done too.)

Never could do anything like this myself....not without resorting to cheating anyway.

Nice work. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I really like this! Very nice work.
I would not know where to start.
I can throw stuff together and make something out of it but for the moment this is a bridge too far for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow, Helios. And thanks to all so far for the comments. It started as a random sketch (out of boredom) on a notepad. The shape caught my eye, and I decided to paint it. I did a lot of previous work on Procreate on my iPad, and started noticing recently that I'm getting bad results when I try to smudge or blend colors together. I'm forcing myself to do drawings like this, start to finish, in Ps, so I become more proficient at digital painting. I know my backgrounds are kinda lame - by the time I finish the subject, I'm too tired to put any effort into the background. I will work on that in the future. Thanks again for looking.

Helios

Backgrounds are tricky - I often just end up leaving them white, but recently have tried to put something in there. You want it to let the subject 'pop' nicely and not take focus away from it too much - a difficult balance to get right. Something simple and abstract usually works, or just a hint of a room or other environment that would make sense for the subject to be hanging around in.
I think with this one you were certainly on the right track, anyway.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I know my backgrounds are kinda lame - by the time I finish the subject, I'm too tired to put any effort into the background.....

I like the background on this one. Has a bokeh-ish feel to it. And your brush work on the feather details are good.

That toon beak sort of reminds me of a prehistoric flightless bird.....

Backgrounds are tricky - I often just end up leaving them white, but recently have tried to put something in there. You want it to let the subject 'pop' nicely and not take focus away from it too much - a difficult balance to get right. Something simple and abstract usually works, or just a hint of a room or other environment that would make sense for the subject to be hanging around in.
I think with this one you were certainly on the right track, anyway.

Thanks.

I see these incredible digital paintings on Deviantart with wide, sweeping views and fantastic lighting. I need to practice tha kind of brush work.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I like the background too.
It has a misty effect in depht and doesn't draw away the attention of the bird/focus.

Helios

Thanks.

I see these incredible digital paintings on Deviantart with wide, sweeping views and fantastic lighting. I need to practice tha kind of brush work.

Oh yes, I know that feeling! Wouldn't even know where to start to get that kind of quality, unfortunately. Still, I can dream!

Oh, going back to the background - by "you're on the right track" I did mean I like it and think it works. Sorry, I realise now it was an unclear choice of phrase.