What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poll Do you always use Pen Tool?

Do you always/love using Pen tool?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeMc

McGuru
Hi Mike, Just saw this reply from you.

I agree. When I work with other selection tools, I do so, at some point, down to pixel or near pixel depth. But ... I do this after making my pen tool tracings as well, not as closely unless I see an edge imperfection, then I zoom in and blow it out of the water. I use refine edge as I said when I use most other tools.

But I still recommend playing around even more with the pen. Try different tutorials. You will find yourself saying, that wasn't in the other but this is, and vice versa. Then you will just discover by trial and happy error how the thing works. So I said: I'll be damned, so that's how it is.

I know....I know the pen tool is a major tool...that said I fight it daily. I suppose one day it will work well. My issue is mental...I just don't like it...BUT time will help along with more practice.

My biggest issue is not seeing the line it draws in grey...Old eyes suck!

Sierraccr

Power User
The pen tool is an absolute necessity for some tasks, like making a path for the brush tool or text.

However, most people use it to cut images out of larger works. When cutting, I use it when I need precision, but it loses me when very fine, complex cuts are necessary like hair or fur or grass.

For those, I start with channels. If there's not enough contrast I'll use one of several other tricks learned over the years. I have to say that CS5.5 and CS6 have a vastly improved "refine edge" tool that I'm starting to use more often. It takes a little practice but it's much faster and less fiddly than other methods.

Zain Khan

Banned
Yes, I always use pentool to trace the drawings and then I use brush stroke. I guess My hands are quite good when it comes to using a pentool :)