What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3D RingWorld

Argos

Guru
Nice creation!!, maybe you can try to add some shadow to the top and a faded light on the containment field coming from the minisun XD.

Great work.

Cheers.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Nice creation!!, maybe you can try to add some shadow to the top and a faded light on the containment field coming from the minisun XD.
Great work.
Cheers.

Thank you.
Its all open for suggestions. I'll work on the suggestions.
I had enough PS for one day.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First off, this is a fantastic variation on the enclosed tube world! I really like the concept. The containment field is awesome! I like how you have it closed over the inner surface rather than just covering the ends!

The BG is not working for me, it's mostly the lighting and location. I'm not sure what would help, maybe something being in orbit around a huge gas giant. The one thing I wondered about was, where is the illumination coming from? Both on the inside of the ring world as well as the outside.

My scifi geek is showing!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Again, thanks for the comments Sam.
Actually I never intended to post this, it was an exercise in applying texture and making the containment field.
Yes, the concept maybe looking good but the general picture doesn't. Wrong lighting ect...
By the way, the inside of the ring has its own little sun. (Cfr Larry Niven in the series Ringworld)
So I adjusted the project and I hope its any good.

RingWorld B.jpg

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Again, thanks for the comments Sam.
Actually I never intended to post this, it was an exercise in applying texture and making the containment field.
Yes, the concept maybe looking good but the general picture doesn't. Wrong lighting ect...
By the way, the inside of the ring has its own little sun. (Cfr Larry Niven in the series Ringworld)
So I adjusted the project and I hope its any good.

View attachment 61450

I like the concept.

But if taken into scientific context, having it close to a planet that large would result into it's being pulled in by gravity. And it wouldn't be good to have 2 suns even if the other is artificial.

Maybe re-posittion the artificial sun outside so that as the complex rotates, it mimics night and day within the landscape.

I find it's OK to use the galaxy background but if you zoom in closer to the containment field like in your second image.

... just thinking out loud....

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Well, I have to admit the idea of a RingWorld is not mine and actually not finished yet.
In his books Ringworld Larry Niven discribed the Ringworld with his own 'sun'.
When Googling I found this

Ring_World_1.jpg

I still have to add the inner circle of shields who mimics the day/night cycle.
And as for beeing so close to a planet, the Ringworld has some kind of propulsion engins to keep it in place. You actually see one in action in the picture.
I also had to find a way to justify the lighting on the ring, so I needed an external light source and that big sun came handy.

But I like your ideas. Keep them coming.
The physics must be right, even if it's fiction.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
By the way, the inside of the ring has its own little sun.
Awesome! I did not notice that! I thought the bright yellow thing was part of the Galaxy background!

Again, extremely cool idea and well executed. Sort of like a slice from a Dysons Sphere.