What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3d show off room

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
namvet said:
56k would be heaven!! .... my telco line allows 28 at best?

Yes, that's what a lot of people forget that there are still millions out there who simply don't have the infrastructure available to have high speed, even when they wanted to.
I don't know how the numbers are right now, but more than a year ago about 40% of the population in the US still used a 56k modem.

Alistair

Guru
Gaussian said:
I don't know how the numbers are right now, but more than a year ago about 40% of the population in the US still used a 56k modem.

Wow that is hard to believe. I am such a spoiled child!

- Al

Shaun

p?tr??k said:
OMG, I remember 56k... :cry:

Still got one in reserve for when the broadband (cable) plays silly beggars.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
p?tr??k

OMG, I remember 56k...

I'm stuck with 56... :cry:... till the phone company can upgrade the phone wires and equipment in our area. Subscribers to the broadband service in this area are experiencing difficulties with the connection due to this.

I had it installed last year........ either it keeps disconnecting or acts like a faster version of 56 >:O . The modem is here.... sleeping white elephant till somethings done.

namvet

Power User
dv8_fx said:
I'm stuck with 56...? :cry:... till the phone company can upgrade the phone wires and equipment in our area.

... \:/ ... if television can be (sattelite) beamed into homes 24/7 why don't the telcos take a giant leap into the 21st century and do same ..... \:/ ... phone lines were invented before Henry Ford released the Model T!! ...... geesh, I so need a sattelite!! .... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sean

Guru
I'm stuck with 56... ... till the phone company can upgrade the phone wires and equipment in our area. Subscribers to the broadband service in this area are experiencing difficulties with the connection due to this.
That sucks. I guess I'm just spoiled, although not as spoiled as Alistair or Gaussian - 5mbps...I have 356kbps! I am satisfied with that though. We only pay 18.00 a month for it too (AT&T) I never really need it to be faster....need that is. [innocent]

if television can be (sattelite) beamed into homes 24/7 why don't the telcos take a giant leap into the 21st century and do same
That would be nice! I know a tv signal is different than that of the internet, but you would think that they could come up with something similar? I know that you can get WLAN in places, but thats expensive!$!$! Not for the average consumer.
I know they have digital sattelite witch is a encoded digital video stream. If it is digital (1's and 0's) than why can't you recieve internet by the same way?

namvet

Power User
p?tr??k said:
.... although not as spoiled as Alistair or Gaussian - 5mbps...
.... 5mbps .... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .. oh how I wish!!! .... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .. :rofl:

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
p?tr??k said:
That sucks. I guess I'm just spoiled, although not as spoiled as Alistair or Gaussian - 5mbps...

Well actually I don't have 5mps p?tr??k, like I said I'm planning to get 10mps (or 7).? ;)

I'm not so spoiled right now. Of course, compared with modem users I am, but I have what I would call slow high-speed internet? :D . I have DSL, but since I?m far from the central office I?m only getting 75kB/sec, but even that I don?t get, because our wonderful phone company still has to replace a damaged ground cable that slows down my internet to a ?poor? 40kB/sec. Then I have this poor 16kB upload speed, which isn?t a lot of help either. For example uploading the attachment folder of this board? (500MB) to the new server about 2 weeks ago, took me close to 10 hours.

I never really need it to be faster....need that is.?

Depends what you call ?need?. :D?
If I for example would get 7 mbps I would probably in real time get about? 6.5 mpbs (according to reports at Dslreports.com). 6500/8= about 815 kB/sec, 20 times faster as what I have now. And guess what? I would pay $5 less. So that?s why I said ?what do you call ?need??, because faster doesn?t always mean more expensive.? ;)

Tron

Guru
Getting of the topic "3D Showoff Room" a little - btw, I have 10 mps connection? [shhh]

Thought I would post a Terragen render I have been working on for comments.? 8}

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Nice work Rick, I like it the way you made the center stand out. ;)

Terragen is a great program. I haven't been using it for a while though, but I'm still visiting the Terragen site once a month to see if they released version 2 yet, which should be spectacular!

Tron

Guru
Made a few changes here - not sure if it's for the better though [confused]

Sean

Guru
The concept of adding in the lighthouse is a great idea, it's just that the picture is very poor quality. It could be the focal point of the work, but right now it's stands out like a sore thumb. Dont' get me wrong though, I really like the terragen scene, and adding in the lighthouse makes it not so empty. :perfect:

Tron

Guru
Thanks for the comments Patrick

Here it is again with the lighthouse cleaned up a bit.

Sean

Guru
Yep, its getting there, rick. You could also tone the lighthouse to match the purple/redish sunset hue. And you could further clean up the lighthouse by cutting it out with the pen tool or polygon lasso. That will get rid of the lumpyness on the railing and steps. Keep it up! :perfect:

Zendik

Mt. Bachelor with Vue 6 Infinite 6.5. Terrain is a USGS dem imported into Vue and textured. Eco-System is just a bunch of distant pines. The polygon count is 891,142,599 and I'm running Windows Vista Home Prem. with a Pentium D processor and 1GB memory, NViDIA 7300GS.

These are preview renders..

5xzvu2u.jpg

4oq3k7c.jpg

63rbeo9.jpg

:perfect: