What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3d texture resolution-size limit 1024 in 3d display

Palst

Even I create a texture with 4096 this is automatically converted to 1024 in the 3d display window. When I paint in the 2d layer I can see real time the 3d updates with lower resolution. Is there any way to match both resolutions?

MrToM

Guru
Before editing any map re-generate the UV coords to the size of map you want to work with.

When you open the map for editing it should then be at the dimensions you've set.

Regards.
MrToM

Palst

No sure what do you mean with re generate. I can see I menu about generate UVs but this deletes my UVs that I want to keep and creates new messy one that anyway give no advantage with 3d display resolution. Apart of that the only menu of UVs in materials about UVs properties has no references about re generate or size.

I have a 970 GTX with 4 gigs of Vram and wonder why I locked in a texture resolution so low (1024) in the 3d display even if the layer is 4096

MrToM

Guru
Well without knowing your skill level with 3D in PS I didn't want to suggest anything you already know.

The default materials applied to an object will use maps of the default dimensions.

There is no way to 'directly' edit the UV's as in professional 3D applications but PS does allow you to re-generate them either as a whole or on a per face level.

I have no idea how you want to do this and so using the little information you've supplied I can only make suggestions on a 'general' basis.

Therefore, re-generate the UV's via 3D > Generate UV's...

3d_Generate_UV_MT_01.png

Then choose the dimensions for your maps...

Generate_UV_Dialog_MT_01.png

When you edit the materials they should be at whatever dimensions you set in that dialog.

Regards.
MrToM.

Palst

Thanks for your response. I know well 3d programs and Photoshop but my knowledge of Photoshop 3d in the current version is basic. I learned it several years ago but I found it quite limiting and I was trying to see what has improved.

UVs and texture map resolution are no linked, even some programs as Zbrush have both in the same menu. Once I have a UVs I should be able to choose the resolution of the texture map without changing the UVs. As I was commenting I don't want to change the UVs as Photoshop reduced his quality. But anyway I should be able to change the texture resolution.

In the menu new texture in the properties material I can choose the resolution and I can choose 4096. It opens a 2d map with the UVs overlapped with the correct 4096. But the 3d real time display reduces it to 1024 no matter what. Then I guess I'm editing a real 4096 texture but only can be displayed at 1024. Even this gives me the advantage that can be exported to the correct resolution I have not good feedback when editing in the 3d window.

I have been trying to search a response in forums but the only response is that Photoshop reduces the resolution according to you graphic card, and that is the reason what I said my graphics card has 4 gig of Vram, good enough to go beyond 1024.

MrToM

Guru
In that case I can only assume that your GFX card isn't set up properly either in its own settings or those in PS.

I have no problem with large dimension maps displaying in the workspace, if that's what you mean, so maybe you should check your settings relating to your GFX card?

Who can say....its not something that's easily solved blind.

Regards.
MrToM.