What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question for a computer nerd

Alistair

Guru
Ok, soooo, heres the deal. I have 2 internal hard drives, a cd-rw drive (on top) and a regular compact disc drive (below cd-rw). And, also a normal floppy disk drive. Heres the thing, my computer only has four powers. So, what i had to do when i installed my new 120 gig hard drive was to decide which hardware i was going to have not used for a very long time, because of not enough powers. So I decided my compact disc drive, but i need that. What i like doing is listening to music in my cd-rw while organizing cds and looking up data with my compact disc drive. So I haven't been able to do that ever since i installed my hard drive. and the reson i need two harddrives instead of getting rid of my 10 giger and putting the system files on my 120 giger.... I want all system updates, patches, etc. to all be organized and run off of my 10 gig drive. All my design work, that goes on my 120 gig drive ;)
Did I loose you yet? :D So, the thing is, i need 5 powers, and i need it bad. First, is it even possible to get a splitter and like get a 5th power? Another thing, if it is possible, it might like, harm my system, like overload the power and blow my system. I'll give you my system specs. Even though it?s a e-machines, I made it so it works like a genious ;) Somehow, I did it.

EMachines
Etower 667 ix
Intel Celeron processor (I know, I?ll update that soon ;) )
664 MHz (and that)
320 MB of RAM (and maybe even that)

I tried to research it, but I cant find if its safe or not to get another power, and if it?s even possible!!!!

So, i hope there's some comp. nerds out there that are.... nerdier than me? :D :rofl: :\

I'm sure a splitter will work, but I don't recommend using one for an extended period of time.

Your best bet is to get a bigger power supply. In my area at the comp stores, they run around $30 at the most.

you mean, buy a whole new power? (the big box with big fan... and the cords :D :D :D )
thats... only $30? [stuned]

Why do you suggest not having a splitter for a extended period of time? If the slitter wouldn't hurt the power, than i don't see why not using the splitter.

If, and only if, you connect it well, it should be possible to add tha fifth element. An extra hdd does not ask much from a power station.
Yet, it would be wise to have some electrician do it for you as there's diff in serial or parrallel connection.
If you have to pay him, you might also ask at the shop where you bought it how much a power unit with five cables would cost. May be cheaper.
BCan't say anything more because the power unit has to be of the same size, and I don't know whether your puter has the standard ATX sizes.

I believe it is standard ;) I have a freind that can help if I get in any trouble :D ;) I'm pretty good at putting stuff together, ecspecially if its computer related ;) well, how much does a splitter cost? I have a 30 lbs computer bag, and it has anti-static bags, and wrist straps and the whole bit. I have a power in there and it has all the cods with it and all.... but its older and I dont think its five. Is there a way to rip one of the power cords outa there and some how use that? Or if i buy it, approximately how much is the splitter? and you need another power cord right? how much might that be?

How many w are your power supply at ??

sounds to me like the the reson you only have 4 contacts are that tour power supply ony are made for 4 drives but it might work for i while with 5 but then you will be pushing the limit and how long it will work i cat say.

best would be if you baught a new one.

Rock on

I just spent this summer over $400 on computer supplies! that would be $30 more :( Its my earned money... and i'm only 15, and i have no allowance! So if its completely neccessary, I'll go for it. But otherwise, I'll do whatever i can :\

Have you thought of partitioning your drives Alistair so everything is separate on the same drive?

Stu.

Alistair wrote:
I want all system updates, patches, etc. to all be organized and run off of my 10 gig drive. All my design work, that goes on my 120 gig drive
and kiwi asked
Have you thought of partitioning your drives Alistair so everything is separate on the same drive?
..... and that's the way I would go ... partition .... just done it for the first time ever and was surprised how simple it was :D .... I'll do it for you Alistair just send me the plane ticket :rofl: :rofl: ... I'm 'hooked' on partitioning :) .. am looking for computers on which to practice my new found skills :D :D
just another thought ... if you've got an 'old' computer put your 20gig on that and then you could network it using network cards and 'cross over cable' ??? ..

Alistair, I need to know how much watt your current power supply is (written on the out- or inside of your PC).

I can't advice you without that information :\

kiwi said:

Stu.

I tryed partitioning it when i got the new drive, but i failed. I'm not even going to try cause i already have the drive filled with over a gig of photoshop documents :D And I just don't want to bother with it, i still would want the other drive, even if i did partition the big one.

Gaussian said:
Alistair, I need to know how much watt your current power supply is (written on the out- or inside of your PC).

[stuned] hmm, let me check.

Alistair said:
Gaussian said:

[stuned] hmm, let me check.

ahh, crap, i'm not ganna open it up tonight... theres to much stuff to do.. maybe laters. I'm sure it says it somewhere on this manual [stuned]