What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A (sort of) blank canvas

reeksy86

Hiya all,

Want to pick your creative brains if i may?

I have a website (dog grooming) but it is looking a bit sad and boring, I have my logo, and a font which has dog prints.
dogonly 2.jpg

I am looking for some insparation for a background photo, something that will cover the entire webpage, I have tried a few different things, but to be honest, im just not good enough on photoshop yet to produce anything decent.

Would really appreciate if anyone has any tips or ideas for me, or if you want to design a pic and add it, that would be wicked?

Cheers

ibclare

Queen Bee
Hi reeksy88, can you give us some more information please.

It looks like you are using cartoons given the dog shower you posted and the font you describe, but it would sure help to see the art and text you have. Or the entire layout.

To just make a BG without knowing how it relates to the rest of the page is not a good idea.

Also, if you would tell us what you've tried so far. I hope you are not looking for some bold pattern. You could use a full strength picture on the edges where there is no copy, but to use it as a background at 100% opacity makes it impossible to read.

reeksy86

Sorry, I thought i was not explaining myself very well! The cartoon is the logo we have used, and the font is: CK-Good-Dog.jpg

I can give you a link to the website if you would like? http://www.giveyourdogagroom.com That should give you an indication of the set up so far, I am quite happpy for a radical change (indeed, the gallery page is to be completly overhauled)

I am looking for a 'flowing' background (almost like a wave across the page)

I hope i have explained myself a little more clearly.

Thanks

ibis

Power User
question,
english is not my first language, so can you tell a bit more about what grooming stands for?
something like breeding friends finder, hare and nails care or else?
i agree your site needs a lot of improvements to be more attractive and meaningful.

reeksy86

Dog grooming is basic a hairdresser for dogs. Includes nail clipping, washing, drying, trimming fur on face/head and anything else related really.
Any advice or tips on site improvements would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Hoogle

Guru
Do you own the original artwork for your logo it would be better if you have a larger high resolution version available for people to work from

reeksy86

yeah i do have a larger picture of it.

dogonly 2.jpg

That is the largest i have i'm afraid.

ChrisHPZ

Power User
Reeksy, I think you might want to use a picture of a real dog here. The cartoon graphics have their place, but remember that this website is meant to serve as an advertisement to a professional business. That's essentially what every commercial website is, an advertisement. Without a professional appearance, all the graphics are just dead weight. When I'm working on my website mockup projects to put on my portfolio website, I'll examine related websites to get some ideas.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Chris, I totally disagree with the need to have a more sedate approach. Dog groomer websites run the gamut of sleek and sophisticated to cute and cuddly. I personally think the logo is great and should be used larger than it is currently.

Between the logo and the font, however, I think it would be a mistake to pick a background that had anything directly to do with dogs. It would be distracting and overkill.

One thing that I think makes a site look unprofessional is when the text either floats out to the edges of the screen or is all centered. Text should be constrained like titles and paragraphs in a magazine so that it holds the eye; much more readable that way. Your title I imagine will be done over in the new font? It needs to be larger and worked into a logo design using the dog bathing logo picture. The nav bar gets more attention than the title but the title should grab the eye.

My first impression is that I'm looking at realty for sale. The house picture overwhelms everything else and is incidental to the purpose of the business. Now a possibility for a background might be to use this picture, desaturate, change the hue, and lower the opacity, making it a watermark. Well, just thinking out loud here.

You could do with eventually getting a web design package once your business is up and running, but I really would advise you to consider getting a professional logo made (which can be done through our designers if you like), maybe even having someone spiff up your home page.

besmirched

Power User
Imo you don't need to use any of that cheesy doggie stuff, it makes your site look amateurish. Slick sells. Use a normalish font in a non-doggie banner. Have pictures of your work. Think professional. Look at other sites for inspiration and work out how can I make my site better than theirs.

reeksy86

I really appreciate all your input, hopefully I can answer a few questions here,
The reason I have not used a real dog photo as the logo is because I dont wan to run the risk of potential clients believing that it is a grooming saloon for one breed only, as we cover everything from chow chow's to Irish wolfhound and jack Russell's to dachshunds.

I do agree that the font needs to go, the more I look at it, the more I think it looks tacky and cheap.

I agree that the background needs something, which is where I become stuck, I don't particular want a bold picture, as I do have a gallery link, which will be updated onto a flash sideshow when I upgrade pc to allow it.

I hope that has cleared a few bits up, please ask if you want anything else.

Again, I really appreciate your help.

Aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisHPZ

Power User
Chris, I totally disagree with the need to have a more sedate approach. Dog groomer websites run the gamut of sleek and sophisticated to cute and cuddly. I personally think the logo is great and should be used larger than it is currently.

I didn't know what the word sedate meant.
Characterized by dignity and propriety
Calm, quiet, or composed; undisturbed by passion or excitement.

About spiffing up the website. It's important to figure out what the website is supposed to do. Believe it or not, some commercial websites are made just for the sake of it. The bulk of the business actually comes from word of mouth. Reeksy, you have a lot to consider here. And don't let it overwhelm you as it can be one of the best experiences you have. That is the experience of business and technology coming together as a cohesive whole. Yeah it sounds far out there and dorky, but then again so am I.

reeksy86

A lot of the business actually comes from facebook, (no real surprise) and word of mouth. The website, is sort of a back-up to this, detailing prices, including a gallery, and contact details e.t.c.

I am actually really enjoying doing it, but am not massively experienced, so need some guidance along the way.

ChrisHPZ

Power User
Well, there's a slew of members here with experience in graphic and web design. And I think you'll agree that forum members are helpful so take advantage of it. Someone will have an answer for you. All the best.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Well, I totally disagree that the site can;t have a folksy, sweet look to it. Slick? For a dog grooming business? Do you live in the iddle of affluence? OK then, hire Madison Ave. Use a TV commercial approach. Is average Joe your neighbor? Know who your clients are and appeal to them that way. You're not exactly an attorney whose firm needs to be slick and professional. Which is not to say your site should be unprofessional. Go with your gut and your heart. That's my, more feminine, opinion.

ibclare

Queen Bee
Sorry, a few things frustrating me this morning. Didn't mean to come off so strong!

It's all up to what reeksy wants anyway, so I shall bow down, or is that bow wow down, lol.

ibis

Power User
i would take it from the both worlds.
sure people doing "grooming" for their pets are deserving something classy but i guess they have to be a bit silly too.
no offence to anyone.
i would make the paw shape navigation buttons that will make site look loose ans a bit dog-silly
and for the head image i wold make a photo of a dog enjoying its haircut in the chair looking human alike maybe with the real human long hair photoshoped on. just an idea.
keep the paw. please.
you may even make a single paw print being a whole background tin gray on the white canvas.

just a quick idea sketch. sorry i dont have time to make hairstyled dog right now.

grooming.jpg

reeksy86

ibis, that looks really good, much more professional than what is currently there, but without taking away a bit of 'silliness' for want of a better word, A lot of dog sites are based on similar themes so wanted something a little different,

I really like the paw idea though. Thank you.

would you consider some colour behind the faded paw background or leave it white, so it looks clean and crisp?

ibis

Power User
i have learned of web design looong time ago;) things might have changed nowdays, but we were taught make background mostly black or white in order to pop-out the content of the site. rich background just draws of attention.