What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Accidental' coloring in.

RTContent

Power User
I've been staring at this for too long so I thought I'd post it on here for some critiquing.

I was searching some stock websites but couldn't find the type of color image I required. I found this b&w image that I liked so before I knew it I was already trying to color it in. This was my first major attempt at one so any feedback would be very much appreciated.

coloredin-lady.jpg

original-lady.jpg

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Not bad for a first try. Better than me on the first one's I did. I was bothered by the skin tone, so I did a quick fix with curves adjustment.
coloredin-lady2.jpg

ALB68

Just d/l the uploaded file. Note the CMYK color percentages. They are maybe a bit over on the yellow but not anything dramatic. Is your monitor calibrated? Lady color.JPG
Overly brown now mate...

Paul

Former Member
Yep indeed it is, and it looks overly brown mate, the original was closer to realistic for me.

ALB68

Wonder what's going on? It is saved as sRGB for web. What browser do you use? It is darker, but the OP was wayyy off based on Caucasion skin color values. Notice I didn't check off nor use web colors only. It looked too pale to me.
Yep indeed it is, and it looks overly brown mate, the original was closer to realistic for me.

RTContent

Power User
I initially had a color similar to this but I thought it looked a bit too red/pinkish. Perhaps I need to calibrate. Thanks

ALB68

Caucasion skin should be like C=16 M=30 Y=33 K=0. In other words your yellow value should exceed your magenta value by about 10%. The Cyan value should be about 1/2 of an average of the Yellow and Magenta. Here is an article on the subject. However, our own Tom Mann gave me the original direction. http://www.graphicconnectionkc.com/skin-tone-correction.html

Although I corrected this to those values, it appears something changed somewhere. I'll look at it again. Something weird going on. Your values showed to be C-46,M-66,Y-56,K-29 taking a 5x5 sample at the right cheek.
Thanks Paul. I knew I forgot something :)

ALB Laser Engraver, no my monitor isn't calibrated yet. Also what do you mean way off Caucasian skin colors, what should it be then in your opinion?

Last edited:

ALB68

Here is a repaired version as a comparison.
Lady-color-comp.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
As Clare often suggests, I would also suggest introducing some variation in hue and saturation as you go from one part of the face to another. IMHO, as it is, the colors look too homogeneous. Here's a 1 minute quick tweak in this direction.

T

Attachments

• coloredin-lady-tjm01-acr-ps02a-02.jpg
    coloredin-lady-tjm01-acr-ps02a-02.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 12

Tom Mann

Guru
... and here's a few more minutes working on it, bringing in some normal pink highlights, shadows for the cheeks, lipstick, etc.

T

PS - I know there's a problem with the hairline, but I'm too lazy to fix it.

Attachments

• coloredin-lady-tjm01-acr-ps02a-03b.jpg
    coloredin-lady-tjm01-acr-ps02a-03b.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 11

RTContent

Power User
I like what you've done. Although I think brightening up the lips that much might be a bit far. Probably the closet skin color I've seen though. Thanks for everyones input!

Tom Mann

Guru
re the lips -- what can I say -- in my imagination she's a hottie that likes the '40's red lipstick look.:cheesygrin:

T

RTContent

Power User
re the lips -- what can I say -- in my imagination she's a hottie that likes the '40's red lipstick look.:cheesygrin:

T

I don't disagree with your imagination in that regard. :) I was just looking at the freckles on her lips and thinking they probably wouldn't be as visible if she was wearing heavy lipstick.

Tom Mann

Guru
What I was worried about was that heavy lipstick should cover up her chapped lips (not just the freckles), but I decided not to spend any time on that. I thought nobody would notice it. Tough crowd. :)

T