What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add filter on ALL layers? Actions

Sourzu

Hi!
I'm making a video and would want a filter i've in PhotoShop (Topaz clean it's named).
This effect/filter doesn't exist for After Effects where i'll make the movie in, that's the reason why i will export the video files to PhotoShop, put on the filter and then get it back.

I got no problem with importing the clip into PhotoShop. I've 2 ways to do this.

First way:
I'm simply having an avi file (video file) and import it to PhotoShop CS5, this is what the animation window will look like:
---can't post the link.. yet---
Also a timeline. When i add any filter it will add it to only 1 frame in this timeline.
Since my clips will have around 500+ in frames, this will take forever.

Secound way:
This is almost like first way, except i'm importing the avi file to ImageReady cs2 where i get the option to make them to layers and frames, but here's the same, still can't add filters to all the layers at same time.

Asked this question on some other forums and got this guide as answear:
---can't post the link.. yet---

First i got stucked and didn't really get so much from what actions and batch were, but right now i think i got it.. but still i do have problems with it.

What i also first done were to record in actions where i add the filter Topaz clean to one of the frame, then i choosed next frame and pressed stop and played the script.
It simply added the filter but it goes to the frame where i choosed it to take.. is there possible to change so it can take the next frame? If that would be possible, i don't have to scrub to every single frame in this animation window and pressing on play for adding the filter.

Anyways, i went on and were trying this batch once i checked youtube after a tutorial.
So i exportet TIF files from After Effects into a new folder.
This new folder i'd located in automate->batch in photoshop, and as output folder i choosed another new folder. This didn't work since a popup came up and said something about extension or whatever it was.
So i took alternative: "Save and close", so it would over-write the files.
It seemed to work since it started to import all the TIF images and adding topaz clean on them, but once it was done i went into the folder, and didn't see any changes except it may been more blur on them.

However, if this would be working i've no idea how i would import this back to After Effects, and make it like a movie again, because i don't really get this guide "Steal adobe photoshop filters..".

However, i would be happy if someone has any ideas to add filters on all the layers in a quick way.
My idea to get the movie back is to save as .gif file if there's no other way, or guide that i understand, how to do it.

Please, need your help guys, thanks.

Yes it can be done using a script to run an action on all layers in Photoshop.
Create your action to do what you want.
Edit the script with your Actionname and Actionset

Using a text editor or better still ExtendScript Toolkit save this out as FileName.jsx into the correct folder:-
PC: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS#\Presets\Scripts
PC 64bit 32bit Photoshop: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS#\Presets\Scripts
MAC: <hard drive>/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS#/ Presets/Scripts
# being the CS version.
N.B. If Photoshop was open close and restart!
To Use : - File > Scripts > select script
PHP:
var doc = activeDocument;
for(var a =0;a<doc.layers.length;a++){
doc.activeLayer = doc.layers[a];
//Amend the action name and action set to suit
app.doAction("ActionName", "ActionSet"); //These are case sensitive!!!!
if(doc.activeLayer.name != "Layer 1") doc.activeLayer.visible=false;
}

I don't get that scripts really.
I named the file to Layer.jsx then i changed the red "ActionName" to "Layer", that's correct right?
But i don't just get what "ActionSet" is.. So it becomes up an error.
Tried name my script to "ActionSet" but still error..

[EDIT]
I fixed it, by going to automate->batch i could figure out what names i need to put them to.
Now i got no error when i pressed the script.
But what happened? It was like starting instantly and spammed on frame 1 something.. idk what.
Had to close PhotoShop, couldn't stop it or something.

[Edit #2]
Okay i got it like fixed.. it made this on all the layers now, problem is just that it deleted everything in the animation, so to fix this i've to go each frame and activate the layer. And this will take same much time as just put the filter on everything manually.

Last edited:

Back