What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding a selection.

RickFlorida

Hi everyone.

I'm very new to Photoshop as you can tell from this question. I have this .psd file and I want to isolate everything in white as one piece so I can turn that isolation into a .svg so I can create alphas in Zbrush (made it 3 dimensional). The magic wand only sees the state, and ignores my white bar.

Anyways, I can't remember how I got this far as it's from an old project that I'm getting back to. I suppose I found the image of Florida and created the white bar that is not getting "caught" with the magic wand like the state is.
I would have thought the magic wand could capture the state and the white bar as one since they look the same color but I guess not. The State image is "background" layer and the white bar/rectangle is another layer. So I'm guessing this is why magic wand won't look at both? How do I fix this please.

Thanks for any advice.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

JeffK

Guru
You could also hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift E (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift+E (macOS)and create a merged 3rd layer on top leaving the two layers below intact. This way you can always alter those two layers if you need to.

Rich54

Guru
When the magic wand is activated, there are two controls that you can check, or not. One is "contiguous" and the other is "sample all layers". In your case, it sounds like you would want to uncheck contiguous, but to check sample all layers.

1674091213782.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did not see your post Rich! Edit: I see that it works with or without contiguous checked.

Rich54

Guru
Did not see your post Rich! Edit: I see that it works with or without contiguous checked.

I didn't download the OP's image, but at a glance I wasn't sure if his rectangle was attached, or not, to the Florida map. If there was any gap, you'd need to uncheck contiguous. But it looks like there is probably no gap, so either would work.