What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding depth to a selection after background removal

Kawanime

Hi there,

I've just discovered this place ! It looks pretty awesome!
Now that's not an easy one for my first case...

A bit of context first. I have to cut this wrap out for a restaurant menu. As you can see from the image, the depth of field does not cover the entire wrap. Then it doesn't make sense to have a razor sharp selection for the back of the wrap.

The way I usually fix it by making a clean cutout first. I turn it into a selection, make a new layer, fill my selection with white. Then I apply a field blur from the back to the front. Then Cmd+Clic on my layer to get the selection, hit Q to get my quick mask, then go to the channels and dupplicate my mask so that it would stay in my channels. I finally go back to my base layer, the one that actually has the wrap on it, then Cmd+Clic on the channel I created to get my new, feathered selection and hit the layer mask button to get my final cut out that follows the sharpness fall-off.

However I'm wondering if there wouldn't be a better way of doing it.
I made an action out of it so it really isn't that bad but I wanted to see if you guys had a better way to deal with this issue.

Have a great night :)
Thanks

sample_gurus.jpg

Hello and welcome to PSG.

The "wrap" (food item) in this image already has depth in the photograph. There's no need to add more blur to the "wrap". So basically all you're describing is a difficult technique for softening hard edges.

When you create the selection using whatever tool you prefer, simply use that selection to create a layer mask and then use the Brush Tool to soften the hard edges that you don't desire. Then, at he very least, given the even lighting of the "wrap" when isolated, I would also consider adding a new layer with a soft gradient (set to overlay) to the "wrap" to add some perceived depth.

This only took me about 3 minutes or less.

Made the rough selection using the Quick Selection Tool. Made a layer mask from that selection.
Added a white BG layer
On the layer mask, used the Brush Tool to soften the edges of the "wrap" towards the back. You can edit this as desired at any time.
Created a new layer on top, made a selection of the "wrap" from the layer mask and added a (foreground to transparent preset) gradient from back to front. Then set the gradients layer blending mode to overlay.
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 8.54.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 9.03.49 PM.png

By adding additional blur, you're not really creating depth............you're just blurring the "wrap" more than it really needs to be.
Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 9.21.47 PM.png

Kawanime said:
The way I usually fix it by making a clean cutout first. I turn it into a selection, make a new layer, fill my selection with white. Then I apply a field blur from the back to the front. Then Cmd+Clic on my layer to get the selection, hit Q to get my quick mask, then go to the channels and dupplicate my mask so that it would stay in my channels. I finally go back to my base layer, the one that actually has the wrap on it, then Cmd+Clic on the channel I created to get my new, feathered selection and hit the layer mask button to get my final cut out that follows the sharpness fall-off.

However I'm wondering if there wouldn't be a better way of doing it.
I made an action out of it so it really isn't that bad but I wanted to see if you guys had a better way to deal with this issue.
If this is working as an easy automated solution to your problem, then stick with it.

If I'm not understanding the question let me know.

Back