What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After Effects After effects layers do not show

jameslivingstone

Hi can anyone help me,

I've looked around for lots of tutorials and nobody seems to have this simple problem.

When I create a layer in CS5 it dosnt show the layer. Just a box - usually black.

So, lets guide you a bit through the problem.

I load after effects up.

I click on new composition - I leave all the settings as default.
I click ok.

(It dosnt matter what back ground color I select, the screen is always black when I have clicked ok).

No matter what I do from here nothing happens.

If I click the txt Icon and type something, no matter what color txt I select it cannot be seen.
If I then click the selection tool a box appears around where the txt should be so it is definitly there - but no matter what color I select this is what happens.

If I then click on new layer (again leaving everything defaulted) I get a new layer but I just get like a wireframe X across it.

This happens no matter what I do.

The only way to change this is if I mess around with the roto brush and then go back to the original compisition box I can see my txt against a white and grey checked background!!!!

Can anyone help because ive been trying to use it for 2 days like this!!!

Thanks in advance.

Hello, and welcome to PsG!
What panel are you looking at? is it the composition panel?
That you see a default black composition is normal.
For the text, is the visiblitiy (eye) icon showing on the timeline panel?

Please give more info, so that we can help you!

Hello, and welcome to PsG!
What panel are you looking at? is it the composition panel?
That you see a default black composition is normal.
For the text, is the visiblitiy (eye) icon showing on the timeline panel?

Please give more info, so that we can help you!

It dosnt matter which window I look in. When the programme loads it has both the composition and layer window open.

When I have watched tutorials they show people starting a new composition and choosing the color. When they click ok that color is in the window but not for me, mine is black no matter what.

Yes, the eye is showing on the timeline panel.

Completely confused.

Hey, I am having the same exact problem. Happened to me when I copied and pasted some layers, then did an undo, deleted them, and pasted them again.

The layers appear on screen, but not in the layers panel!

Really bizarre bug, but easily fixed. Simply select the layers, copy, delete, and paste.
Now they're back! :yourock:

jackkalish.com

PS: On another note, why is this AE question on a PhotoShop forum to begin with. And, how do I edit my signature on this forum?

Back