What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aged photograph tutorial

That one was fun Gaussian. :perfect: It takes my brain a few minutes to translate to PC but thats the price one pays for being too poor to afford a Mac and a PC:\

Hey thanks G, that's a pretty good tute.
He's got some solid techniques there for aging.

Below is my attempt. I extracted his original colour photo from the "before & after" image on his page. I'm sure he wouldn't mind this, because there's nothing being gained by it other than it served as a good comparrison while following his methods. In fact, i'm surprised he doesn't offer this option to people.
But working on a compressed Jpg makes it a tad harder to get the desired results -- note all the gross "blocks" of pixels? None-the-less it turned out alright as a test copy.

There's a couple things though in his tute that i'd change. Specifically the steps on page 3, where the filters are applied to a copy of the original source image. I would instead apply those filters to a "Brightness & Contrast" Adjustment layer. And stack that layer right above the main photo. As my sample photo will show, the effect is exactly the same. Without actually having to alter/modify the original photo.

As well... the part about applying some Noise, Diffuse, or Film Grain to the photo can instead be applied to a new layer filled with black. Then set this layer's blend mode to Screen, Lighten, or Color Dodge. Depending on how strong you want these filters to effect the image.

I totally agree Mark, I like to see that the original stays intact too. Even dodge and burn is something I would do on a separate layer and it's also more fun if you do everything non-destructive, especially because it's so easy to make adjustments.

I agree with Mark as well on this. I always try to apply the filters to an adjustment layer in order to preserve it integrity of the original.
Nice work there Mark BTW. :perfect:

looks cool Mark :perfect: just might have to try that one myself he he he

I always always always keep the original untouched so agree with you guys whole heartedly even though I haven't tried this tute yet
sfm

Back