What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Adobe Certified? (Associate, Expert or Instructor)

Marienkind

I'm thinking about taking courses to become an ACA but I'm wondering how long does the certification last. And why does it even expire at all. Let's say I become certified in Photoshop CS5, which I can put on a resume, if I don't find a job by the time my certificate expires, I'll be stuck out of luck. So I'm wondering if its really worth it.

I'm not sure it would be worth it, IMHO. In fact, I'm inclined to think of those types of certification(s) as an excuse for Adobe et al to milk their products for all they're worth. I liken it to computer programming; most knowledgeable programmers, in my experience, will tell you that certifications pretty much mean nothing; they are a waste of time and money. Not that some companies don't require them, but still useless as indicators of real-life skills. I'll go ahead and say it, at the risk of getting flamed: It's a racket.

If you're looking at it as a way to get a job, considering today's economy, I can't say it is totally worthless.

I've no idea if the certs expire, or how long they last...if it's not on their website, email Adobe and ask.

I have my ACE in Photoshop.

The certification lasts for as long as the version you're certified in is the latest and greatest. Adobe releases a new version of Photoshop approximately every 18 months so, assuming you just got your certificate, you're pretty much guaranteed to hold it for another year.

The certification expires, of course, because when the new version of the application is released you're no longer an expert as new features have been manufactured. Honestly, I can't remember how long it is after the release you have before you lose your certification, as I really have no interest in taking the test again, but I want to say it's 90 days.

To answer your other question, it's a certification that's, in my opinion, only required once. If an employer notes you had your certification at one time then he's going to assume you're pretty damn good at Photoshop.

I agree with you SicSid. The more projects you make, the more chances you'll get hired. And one thing, you might want to add more skill like learning html and css to do web designs. I think that job is highly in demand right now.

Back