What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto change photo color to precise RGB?

PutinHuilo

Goal - change wall color from blue to #ceb88e (RGB 206,184,142) automatically without hand dragging Hue/Saturation dials, yet i cant use Fill tool becaue it it looks unnatural i.e. shade (gradience) of the wall color is lost.

What are the possible solutions without user input so it can be put into automation script (Actions)?
I understand that 100% automation is not possible however i'd like to be as autmated as possible with only one manual adjustment e.g. Lightness to match the scene brightness.

So far i tried without success:
Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation - if input mage will have red wall then values inside Hue/Saturation will not be the same as for blue wall so automation is lost.
Image > Adjustments > Match Color - from layer that is filled with solid #ceb88e same effect as using Fill tool, in other situation it works pretty good when matching from other image.

What i need is functionality where you upload image select color and it does automatically apply it to wall keeping the shade not just "dumb" fill

Sample.jpg

Last edited:
You will need to select all of the wall and copy it to a new layer. Select the new wall layer and add a Color Overlay effect.
Select the new color and set the blend mode to "Color" at 100%. This way you will keep all the shadows and various shades of the color you choose.
To change the color, just open the color overlay effect and select another color.
643 27-Feb-18.jpg

This is much harder to do if your want exact and precise RGB color matching.

A simple color overlay using a layer style set to "color" blending mode and 100% opacity will not work even with a neutral gray background. The colors will not match.
If I want to change the pink "wall" to the green of the rectangle.....
Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 9.25.37 AM.png

And I use a Layer Style color overlay.....
Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 9.26.26 AM.png

You can see that I don't have a color match.
Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 9.26.51 AM.png

Here it is with a neutral gray background and still not a match.
Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 9.32.53 AM.png

If you want an exact match you will need to try another method.
Here's one that I have used very successfully in the past: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/pantone-color-change.58920/#post-1533740587

What i need is functionality where you upload image select color and it does automatica
y apply it to wall keeping the shade not just "dumb" fill
You will need a script or an action to automate the process, but it will never be exact without user input.

Sorry IamSam. I thought the OP was asking to keep the shade and not just have a fill. I think to automate this would be very difficult and probably beyond my capabilities.

Selecting is super long process i wonder how to do it without selection.

If you look at this online tool they somehow able to correctly change color on the image you upload to whatever color you select without fill effect still keeping the gradiency of your image. Wonder how to do same in photoshop.

Selecting is super long process i wonder how to do it without selection.
You cant..........at least not with Photoshop. Any automated function in Ps will require the user to make the selection.

The process from the Glidden site is a very complex automated process that can't be done with Ps.

And to make matters worse, when you upload your own photo, the Glidden's process is very slow, inaccurate, and requires a lot of user interaction to finally get it right. I could have more accurately selected the wall with the Pen Tool and colorized it faster than the website.
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 9.30.55 AM.png

My best advice to you would be to get in contact with Glidden and find out how or with what software they are using for the process.

Back