What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatically re-adjusting grouped layers?

mmuniz

Hi all!

I'm currently working on designing a credit roll which will be animated in After Effects later on. I want to create a sort of template for this purpose and was wondering if it is possible to automatically re-adjust grouped layers in Photoshop.

For example, if I have 3 groups of layers which are "Cast", "Crew" and "Special Thanks" and I have a project later on that for some reason doesn't need the "Crew" section, is there anyway to delete this entire group and make the "Special Thanks" group automatically re-adjust into place where "Crew" was?

I know I can manually do this, but this is a simple example, sometimes rolling credits can be quite complicated and I was wondering if there was a way to skip past all the manual positioning and spacing.

Hopefully I've explained this clearly...Is this possible? Or are there any other workarounds/alternatives to achieve something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Hopefully I've explained this clearly...Is this possible? Or are there any other workarounds/alternatives to achieve something like this?
Not exactly sure what your needing. Maybe some screen shots and more explanation.

I get the groups, but I'm fuzzy on the "replacing" part.

My initial thought is that you could use a smart object for the groupings. Within each smart object group you would have the different positions. When you turn one SO off (Crew), you double click the other SO (Special Thanks) and choose the right position. This is based on the premise that you do all of the work before hand to make it easier down the road.

Back