What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PAKMN

Hello all
I created a avatar for my screen name and as you see use it here, but was wondering , why is mine so small and others are larger, uploaded mine at this size so it would work,other sizes said was to big to upload.hard to see mine. thanks:\

G

PAKMN, I resized your avatar to about 4Kb by saving it as a GIF file using 128 colors. Download the atachment (right click on attachement, save picture as) and use it as your new avatar. It should work now ;)

PAKMN

Wow, thats the ticket Gaussian.Thanks for the help here. The talent in this forum is great,lots of help and advice. Thanks again.[excited]

James

hummm?

just using this thread to see how long it takes mine to show up....
thanks...

James

kewl!

on the 1st time...
now, Gaussian? can i use a gif animator to well, animate this?

G

Well done James, yes you can use GIF animator too, as long as you keep the file size under 10 KB. I animated my avatar with Image Ready, so that might be a consideration too. Make sure that you don't have too many frames and that you save the GIF using only a limited set of colors, in my case I used only 64, otherwise it will be hard to stay under that 10 KB.

Good luck ;)

wbiss

Guru
Hey James I look forward to seeing your new avatar "animated"! ;)
As Gaus says, the challenge comes in keeping the file size under 10kb...
Good luck there! :)

PAKMN, you've come to the right place for "lots of help and advice"! :perfect:

S

Stroker1

You are Pakman of Borg. Your avatar has been assimilated to look like mine. Resistance is futile.

G

What happened to your informative site concerning the displace filter Stroker? Sue tried to reach it, but it seems to be offline for a few days now.

PAKMN

avator

Nice
how do i make mine anamated, i use image ready and when i anamate ithe avator its ok, but when i try to save it , the save as option only shows psd. format. how do i save for this forum to antamate my avator ?:)

G

You have to click on file / save optimized as... and save it as a GIF file.
Before you do that, look at my attachment. At the bottom you notice a palette in ImageReady that gives you control over the way your GIF file is going to be saved. Important is the option Colors. By bringing down the colors you can shrink the final file size of your animated GIF. Now look at my attachment again. At the top you notice a kind of preview palette. Make sure that the Optimized tab in this palette is selected. What is nice about this palette is that it will allow you to see a preview of the final GIF using the settings from your optimize palette. Now to keep the size down, we bring down the amount of colors. Change the settings for Colors and look at the instant preview. Still good enough? Ok, let's try a lower setting and see if it still looks great. You can also change any of the others settings and preview the result in the preview palette. Just check your help to find out what the purpose is of all these other settings (you're probably not going to need them). At the bottom of your preview windows you can also see what your final file size is probably going to be, in this case about 8.731K.
Also make sure that you don't use too many frames. In my example I used only 4.

Good luck Pakmn :perfect:

wbiss

Guru
Stroker that's funny! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I can see that Pakmn put up no resistance...

Nice explanation, Gaus, on exporting the animated GIF file in IR. ;)

S

Stroker1

I've been using my ISP webspace, and my ISP has been going through some changes.

http://w3.chrlmi.cablespeed.com/~halmich/tech-slop/index.shtml

Notice the chrlmi before cablespeed. If that doesn't work, let me know.

I've almost adjusted enough to having our new daughter to where I can give Tech-Slop some serious work. I might actually have those pages that I've been promising done by the end of this coming weekend. When I do get it, I'll post the added pages over in Tips and Techniques (I already have some of the updates up, but I'm not going to point them out just yet).

BTW, welcome to the boards, PAKMN. Good to know you can take being assimillated in stride. Now, who's going to be assimillated next...

edit: I changed the e-mail address in my profile to the e-mail address that I check every day. So, getting in touch with me via e-mail will be timely if you feel the need. Also added Tech-Slop to my profile so you can click the WWW button in my posts or in my profile.

sPECtre

Guru
Welcome, PAKMN!

Ah , Stroker, too funny!

I did it once at Photoshop Techniques, with Rick Miller's Avatar...

sfm

Guru
yahhhhhhhooooooooo your site opened stroker I have for the last couple tried my bookmark all to no avail but I got it to open just now - I am glad you added your url to your profile because I even checked there to make sure I had the right link - expect some questions etc as I learn the displacement filter :D
sfm

wbiss

Guru
PAKMN, I see that you got your avatar animated! ;) Kewl! [slick] Good job! :D

Sue, I had a quick peak around Stroker's site 'cause I, too, know absolutely "nada" 'bout the displacement filter. Looks like Greek to me right now [confused] but I'm just as anxious to learn as you are! Saving that one for a rainy day...

sfm

Guru
Wendy I was happy to play around with it yesterday - managed to do a few even though I was a bit baffled by it all I managed to work on some but the gradient needs more work done on it even went out on my own limb to play around......... I would have to practise more but here is one of mine using the pointilizer filter Dmap
sfm

S

Stroker1

Quick finishing touch variation:

Cut and Paste D-Map over Biker Chic.
In my case, I had to Free Transform (ctrl + t) the D-Map so that it's the same size as Biker Chic.
On the D-Map Layer, Filter > Stylize > Find Edges.
Then Filter > Stylize > Emboss using Height: 1 and around 100%.
Set mode to Hard Light.

edit: I do have a few things to say, but I'll start a new thread later.