What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B&W Negs---Scanning Links??

cjogo

ANy favortite links to B&W scanning? Different methods of obtaining really great scans from a film scanner--then processing in PS--and printing tips from there???

thanks kindly C JoGO

wbiss

Guru
:{ It would seem that nobody has experience here, cjogo as far as b+w scanning is concerned. Have you tried doing a search on google? ;)

Your photography is wonderful... :) and I thank you for sharing!

cjogo

thanks Wendy--I have been searching for many years...GURU is one of the best. A few smaller forums have been helpful...IF Ansel or Brett W were still alive here in Carmel,,,,,,the Printer/Ink/Paper manufacters would be bending-over backwards===to accomodate the B&W artist. Many of the FineArt galleries are still with silver only...but with the new archival inks I am able to slip-by. Just need to learn a few more tricks ( and this forum will be very beneficial in the PS layer/mask dept.)

Glad you like the images...many late evening shots
(this one is 8 minute exposure)

Gdnask Poland

Erik

Guru
I can't give you any links, sorry. But I'm shure that Gaussian has overlooked this thread by accident. He is a photographer, and he knows the whole internet by heart. So I'm shure that he can help you with a series of good links.

I haven't got much time right now, so I can't start a discussion on exchanging techniques. Yet you can find my methods scattered over these forums. Later on, I'll gladly start a thread in the tips and techniques forum.

The main problem with greyscale, because black and white means bitmap or one colour, is that we only have 256 hues, black and white included that can be remembered by a comp. This means that the complete gamut from the utmost black to the intensity of sunlight has to be reduced to 256 hues...an impossibility. That's why they now work to launch a new standard in 16bits/channel and HDRI images.
I have uploaded a ramp here on the QT&tech forum with the RGB values/zones. It must be easy to find back with the search engine.

shortly said:
Good scanning starts with a well calibrated monitor and color profiles for every piece of hardware included, from scanner to monitor to printer.
I never use the mode>greyscale, but I always use the channel mixer to set to greyscale.
I always scan in LABmode because this offers me a separate channel for the intensity of the light without affecting the colour information.
I do ALL correction in the scanner software. PS only serves for manipulation of the scanned material, not for correcting it because corrections in PS are always destructive. I explained why in another thread.

'till soon,E.

cjogo

THanks Eric--very informative!!! Are using SilverFast or VueScan with your scanner??? The Minolta, although a great scanner, leaves little in the software for corrections...Will do searches on the threads you suggested...

thanks cjogo

Stick Village Latvia

Erik

Guru
I am the same guy who started the thread on Silverfast on which you joined in, so: yes: I use SilverfastAI6 on the Epson2450, and Linocolor on the Heidelberg2650 A3. I prefer Silverfast.

cjogo

Sure hope Silver Fast comes through with their update, (supposedly by April)>>> for the Minolta Dimage Multi. Really like the quality of scans for 35 & 2 1/4...using the Epson2450 for 4X5, via SilverFast..

cjogo