What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Batch Automation Batch automate images from 96dpi to 300dpi

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesley1802

HI

I have a few actions set, converting to cmyk : saving as tiff etc, and can also use the image processor script - this is all fine.

What I am struggling with is this :

I need to convert images that may be 72dpi / 96dpi / 240dpi etc etc - I need to change them to 300dpi BUT if the I want the image to size up and down in correlation with this. SO do not zoom if image is smaller (this is an option in image converter plus software).

IE, if an image is 96dpi and is 120cm wide I want to make it 300dpi but resize down to an appropriate size, perhaps 40cm wide - but this original size varies from picture to picture so I cant set it in an action - instead I can only make PS change to 300dpi at 120cm etc - you can see why this would be a problem.

I hope this makes sense - if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be appreciative

Thanks

Lesley

I understand dpi and ppi - I still refer to the resolution as dpi when you are right I shoudl change the terminology to ppi - habits.

It is the ppi to which I am referring (and yes, thanks for the heads up but do know what I am asking) - perhaps though I am not being clear.

I have a picture for example, it is 120cm wide x 50cm high at 96ppi

I want to change this to 300ppi - I can do this in a batch process

The problem is - it will make it 120cm wide x 50cm high at 300dpi

Can you see why this would be a problem?

In Image COnverter PLus - you can tell its batch conversion to "do not zoom if image resolution is smaller" - it would make the image 300 dpi but would adjust the cm sizes to an appropriate size ie only 40cm wide.

I am trying to find out if Photoshop batch process also has this facility?

Many thanks

Lesley

A picture might help.
Altering the PPI does NOT alter the size of the document!!!!
It will only alter the size if you re-sample!

PPI is ONLY relevant to the print size of a document.

Attachments

• Info.jpg
    Info.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1
Ok, I am not sure why, having come to an online forum for help, I get hit with what I DON'T know and assumptions that I am asking something wrong.

If you open an image, go to image size, and change the ppi from 96 to 300 - the image dimensions stay the same - even if it pixelates the image - I am trying to find a way round this - FOR PRINT!!!!!

You have answered the question by accident I think- in that I simply need to untick the Resample box. Quite simple really. Now, with this unticked, I change 96ppi to 300ppi and it adjusts the dimensions to suit the ppi. - Which is what I was after.

I now just need to add that to my action when recording - simples.

I dont know if this will change anything but I have had 2 responses to my question and instead of helping the answers seem to ridicule and assume things that are not - just an observation to a newbie on this site. It may put people off, it certainly has me to an extent - I just hope the whole forum isnt like this.

Thanks for the help anyway

Lesley

I read no off the wall comments from Paul Mr. or ridicule. He was only trying to help.........you need to relax a bit

Last edited:
If you say so :)

"Altering the PPI does NOT alter the size of the document!!!!" - I never said it did and why the need for !!!!!!!!?

"Sorry but you haven't grasped the concept of PPI/DPI and the effects on a document.
You really need to understand this, then you will then be able to ask the relevant questions."

Not helful - just assumptions. I completely grasped dpi / ppi and that was exactly why I was asking a question relating to it - if they were trying to help they would have asked me to be clearer in my question maybe or asked for clarification - instead they assumed that I didn't know something.

Just because someone doesnt ask a question in the exact way some people want it - does not mean they don't understand things. People post on firums for help not ridicule. First I have experienced this and very shocked but everyone is entitled to their own opinion - hence why I said It was an observation on my part.

I have said my peace - you can consider this when next posting in response to a question or not.

Thanks

Lesley

are you all set with the situation at hand (original question)?

Thanks yeah - the post from Paul MR (the one above with the image) made me try the Resample Image box - I left it unchecked and voila! Such a simple thing really - just added that to my action and all working - thanks :)

All is good then. Welcome to forums > closing thread to deter Spam okay?

if it needs reopening just ask

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back