What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beach still

Rantin Al

Guru
Stu, Where's the big toe with the crab hanging onto it? ;)

Have you heard that there is an upgrade for C4D 8.5? Only ?100.

Al

gidgit

hey, are you guys having summer down there or what? Sure looks like fun Stu... only five more months and us Northern folks can go and have fun too :D

kiwi

Guru
Summer has been a bit elusive here up until recently bud :) ...ya Winter sucks....

Ordered my copy 2 days ago Al :D ....sketch and toon looks very cool as well,to exspensive for me to justify though.

Erik

Guru
Sigh... here it's freezin' cold...
Good work!

Yeah, 8.5 will be out soon, but if you have 8.2 (i think that is necessary) check out the most incredible of plugins, available for Win and Mac:

Tweak4D

?10 (!!!)
http://www.spot4d.tk/

Makes tweaking meshes approximately as easy as in Wings.

Limits (right now): Works only in 3D and parallel views, no(t yet) a normal move restriction, no option to work with more than one item together (like selections) and noindication by numers what you do. It works visually.

But: it automatically selects points, edges and polys depending where your mouse is and allows you to move every item by simple dragging. What's more: even if, for example you place your object in, say, an atom array, you can still select and tweak the faces, edges and individual points. Top for organic hypernurbs modelling. It comes with its own icon.

In my opinion, at this price, it's a must have.

C

Chester

Somebody posts an image and nobody comments? [stuned]

Here are some suggestions/comments:

- All shadows are too dark. Especially near a beach (and water) you?ll have a lot of global illumination
- 5 different stones and 5 different textures? doesn?t look natural
- the left stone looks like plastic
- the pail needs specular highlights
- blue rope? I would rather like to see a real rope (this one is personal)
- the water looks like oil, not like water.
- the shadows on the pail aren?t smooth

wbiss

Guru
Chester: Somebody posts an image and nobody comments? [stuned]
I counted 3 before yours Chester...and the day's not done! [confused]

Good, constructive observations though... ;) Pity you don't have a knack to articulate them convincingly or in a manner that is receptive... :\

Stu, wonderful scene and great job at making us 'northerners' drool! :perfect: %}

gidgit

and... just so happens that I, being a X-log salvager, have had lot's of oppurtunity to use "blue" rope... in fact most of my 5/8 poly doglines are blue... fyi... ;)

Stu... your doing good bud... I mean, yea, there are always things to tweak eh... but man... I feel the warmth, oh yea... gotta dream of the beach for a few more months :D

C

Chester

wbiss, i made constructive comments like you said.
you didnt make any, so dont judge my approach ok?

but then again, maybe thats the reason why none of you commented on his image... you dont know how to bring it even more tactful than i did :rofl:

*mumbling* im pretty sure that i didn't write anything rude when i commented on the image... [stuned]

kiwi

Guru
Chester said:

- All shadows are too dark. Especially near a beach (and water) you?ll have a lot of global illumination

Fair comments :)

All shadows are not to dark its Mac gamma,I forgot to lift the levels.

There cannot be 5 different textures as its the same texture.

The pail would not have a higher spec then it is has its plastic not metal,andy higher and the material would look to hard and ie metal.

The rope colour was one I used from a real rope..

Oil is black the water is really dark green.

Yes the shadows on the pail are not smooth as my computer is not powerful enough to do area shadow with decent anti aliasing.

But like I said fair enough comments,but to be fair Chester now you get to post some of your work for the rest of us to look at it :) ...not to do so would be rather sad..

gidgit

hey Chester... ( graphic pic for Chester goes here.. )

Perhaps if Stu was looking for C&C. he would have asked for such... just a thought to "focus" in on...

Wendy felt the warmth, as did Eric, as did I...

As for Stu... well, he was probably up all hours of the night... doing his thing eh... just plain having some fun, and... working hard to give us something nice to view... very cool :)

Ya know Chester... it would probably come off a lot better for me, to dig your sense of critique, if I saw some of your 3D worx...

C

Chester

Oops, I edited my last post while you were typing your reply.

All shadows are not to dark its Mac gamma,I forgot to lift the levels.
ok, that makes sense

There cannot be 5 different textures as its the same texture
ok, let me say it in a different way; all those 5 'look' quite different.
you seldom see 5 single large stones on a beach that size that look so different. of course, there are always exceptions...

The pail would not have a higher spec then it is has its plastic not metal,andy higher and the material would look to hard and ie metal
it does need higher speculars Kiwi. I only need to look at the plastic mustard bottle here on my table to see that your speculars need to be (slightly) higher.

The rope colour was one I used from a real rope..
i understand, but like i wrote earlier; its personal. I would have choosen for a less modern rope. but again, thats personal.

Oil is black the water is really dark green
same with the stones...i guess, there are always exceptions...
too many in this image and that makes it all less believable. sorry, but that's just the way i look at it.

Yes the shadows on the pail are not smooth as my computer is not powerful enough to do area shadow with decent anti aliasing
impossible. i think you meant to say that your computer is too slow and that you dont have the patience. thats something i can understand, since i can be impatient too

But like I said fair enough comments,but to be fair Chester now you get to post some of your work for the rest of us to look at it :) ...not to do so would be rather sad..

very childish remark... where does it say that im not allowed to make any comments. you even acknowledged that my comments were fair even wbiss said they were constructive.

where is the sign that says: "You're only allowed to make constructive comments if we can comment on your work too"
heck, i didn't know that i needed to bring my portfolio with me when i joined this board :rofl:

stststs... [shhh] ... to all the other members... between us.... make sure that you are talented and that you have something to show yourself before you make any comments...

next time, try to be more explicit by writing; "only for you to look at, no comments please".

strange board this is.... [stuned]

C

Chester

gidgit said:
Ya know Chester... it would probably come off a lot better for me, to dig your sense of critique, if I saw some of your 3D worx...
people already said that my comments were constructive and fair and Kiwi was one of them, so why do you ask me to show some of my 3d work to give some 'weight' to my comments.... you make no sense [confused]

heck, its not even your image i was commenting on [confused]

AppleCider

Power User
Ya know, Chester, perhaps people would have taken your comments and suggestions better if you had not prefaced them with this:

Somebody posts an image and nobody comments?

When there were, in fact, some comments...giving you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you missed them. Maybe you didn't agree with the comments, but they were there.

That said, the original poster, Kiwi, answered your comments/critiques very well, so enough said.

kiwi

Guru
Ok again fair comments Chester,but what I was trying to say was let me see your work so I can see you know what you are talking about,thats all :) ,if you have a BA in art or have been desigining for years etc,etc is what I mean.

I never have any problem with crits of my images,my problem is also ahve a progressive neurological condition and I cant accurately tell anymore what looks good,what I could do 6 months to a year ago and what I can do now is quite different,and I am watching the quality of my owrk slowly degrade over time so I guess I am a bit touchy about it.

Stu.

kiwi

Guru
Oh ya and Reg I really hope we get to bump into each other one day..

gidgit

Stumyster... you rock... and don't let anybody ever tell you any different... we know who you are... a gentlman, an artist, and.... a very cool to have around, cg buddy :)

not to mention that you be one of the cool Mod Sqaud team here at Mark's fine community... so yea...remember kids... let's respect our mods eh...

Keep those worx a flowing Stu... you be doing just fine... :)

C

Chester

"Somebody posts an image and nobody comments?" is a normal question when i read how everybody continues to say "nice", "looks great", "well done" and how only a few take the time to make suggestions, even if the poster would ask for it.

i agree, in this case the poster didnt ask for it, but where can i read in the boards policy/rules that i shouldnt comment on an image.
like i wrote earlier... if you dont want any suggestions, please say so, but dont make up your own house rules that can only be found in peoples minds

if this is the way to keep this board "a friendly board", go ahead, youre only fooling yourself. after a year you still havent improved, because nobody had the guts to pinpoint in which area you CAN improve. you choose the road of the least resistance in my honest opinion. others dont and their work can be seen here: http://www.gfxartist.com/

funny is that only kiwi never had a problem with my replies; it seems that hes still willing to improve

so what are all the others complaining about... are they just bored? [confused]

but since i sense that this is going to be an endless discussion of whats right and not... i leave it all up to you to figure out the answers on your own in this thread.

good luck!

Alistair

Guru
Chester said:

Lemmi see whats WRONG with youre comments... umm. Well all you are doing is saying what is bad, what YOU dont like, and barely anything of what would look better not in just youre eyes, but many eyes. Also... umm, wheres the positive stuff? [honesty] Its no prob though.. im the opposit of you, i can't find anything to ctiticize because it is perfect (cept >>>stu...<<< dont you think since its on the beach that water might be more see through or more clear?. :D
Good work stu :perfect: