What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Before and After Retouching....What's your opinion?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The internet is chock full of Before and After Retouching images by common folk, Ps enthusiasts, and of course so called professionals.

In this thread, I would like to get a good idea of what everyone's opinion might be on what they consider to be good examples or bad examples of Photo retouching.

Please reference the retouch your posting your opinion on, and a brief reason why you may like or dislike the edit.

Everyone is welcome to post an opinion on an existing example or post an example of your own. When you post an example, please state your opinion of your example.
It would be nice if you posted retouch's you like and those you dislike.

It's human nature to have an opinion.................please post it!

This will help those of us interested in retouching to determine some level of expectation for our future works. Thanks for helping.

Please, no criticisms on others opinions or making the statement....."I agree with..... or ....... I disagree with"
Just your honest opinion.

Retouch 01

photoshop retouching lynn herrick border.jpg

I like this retouch.

It's not overdone. Some of the wrinkles have been removed but most have just been reduced, leaving her looking much more natural. Her skin texture has been preserved. The coloration could use some help. As with any example, there are a few areas I might change but overall, I like this retouch.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For my first don't like, I'm going to make it an obvious one........

Retouch 02

glamour-retouching-after-before-4.jpg

I don't like this one. This is so overdone there's no question it looks fake, looks more like a vector drawing.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Yes Sam, this is more or less what I was saying in the other thread. When I use the word professional,,that is someone that actually produces this work and sells it for money. I'll look forward to seeing more like these. Just FYI I agree with you on both of these.

iDad

Guru
Not too shabby there Sam!.... Nice touch!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
More like a...............re-touch there iPop! Any opinions? (That's a loaded question!)

ZipedX

Power User
The first (Retouch 01) I quite like, maybe it's been taken a bit to far on the neck and below the left eye though. In my opinion those look a bit smudged.
As for the second (Retouch 02)... It's over the top for me feels like a barbie.

Last edited:

iDad

Guru
On iPhone now but if I remember right on desktop top image under her left eye (cheekbone)looked a bit to smooth but I'll stick with nice touch.

I've seen far too many women faces lately treated with Photoshop.
I decided to look for a natural retouch of a young man. After searching the net for more than an hour I finally found this one.

I like this one very much.

face-retouch-young-man.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Retouch 03

retouching-portrait-before-after.jpg

I like this retouch. Nice and subtle. Attention to forehead and under eyes. Great color. Left the right amount of skin imperfections.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like Chris' retouch. Subtle, left just the right amount of wrinkles and SI (skin imperfections). Nice added contrast and I like the darkened beard.

You right Chris, I find too many women and hardly any men.

ALB68

I like this one too. Removal of the blemishes is good, but his skin looks great, definitely not over done. Eyes appear to have been widened a bit and sharpened which I like. Change in the overall contrast of the image makes it more appealing.
I've seen far too many women faces lately treated with Photoshop.
I decided to look for a natural retouch of a young man. After searching the net for more than an hour I finally found this one.

I like this one very much.

View attachment 49915

ALB68

This one is pretty nice but I can't tell a lot about it at the size it is. I do believe I would have done something to that ugly background though.
Retouch 03

View attachment 49914

I like this retouch. Nice and subtle. Attention to forehead and under eyes. Great color. Left the right amount of skin imperfections.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Retouch 04

retouching-before-and-after-mke-up.jpg

I don't like this one. Way overdone. The hardline around the lips looks fake. I especially do not like the 2D orange peel skin! This has a mask like quality to it.

One of my favorite photographer/artist is Calvin Hollywood. He is from Germany. I just love his PS style.

beforeafterCalcinHollywood.jpg

Retouch 04

I don't like this one. Way overdone. The hardline around the lips looks fake. I especially do not like the 2D orange peel skin! This has a mask like quality to it.

This is an example of standard beauty retouching today. Sad reality!

ALB68

She is too perfect, to the point of just screaming FAKE! I probably would expect this on a magazine cover or something though but I would know it wasn't real.
Retouch 04

View attachment 49921