What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best downsize technique

I have an image that is 16 x 9 Inches 72dpi that I want to print at 8 x 10.
I will keep the aspect ratio and fill in the border with black etc.
My question is when I downsize should I keep the 72 dpi or is there any benifit in pumping up the dpi.
And if so by how much, seeing it's getting printed I would not want anything below 200 ideally?
What would be the best way to downsize and keep/improve quality Pls?
Cheer's Tom

DPI is density of "pixels" in each inch. If you want you can set smaller print size and let photoshop automatically adjust DPI, so you will not loose any data, and printed image will be cleaner and sharper (depends of course on printer).

So is it 'bicubic sharpen reduction' and leave the res at 72dpi pls?
The printer is my local photography shops professional kit.

So I simply {no need for convert to smart object} Punch in my new width/height and keep original size?
Should I use 'bicubic sharpen reduction' .
I really need a short step by step as I want to get it right?

I think it depends on your image that rather you should use bicubic sharpen or not.
Bicubic Sharpen may work well on large un-sharpened soft images. It does not work well on images that already have been sharpened.
And anyways Adobe added the new interpolation method Bicubic Automatic in CS6.
So just leave it to photoshop to decide.

I think it depends on your image that rather you should use bicubic sharpen or not.
Bicubic Sharpen may work well on large un-sharpened soft images. It does not work well on images that already have been sharpened.
And anyways Adobe added the new interpolation method Bicubic Automatic in CS6.
So just leave it to photoshop to decide.
Thanks, Nothing is straight forward lol.
I've been messing with this stuff for a long time but have never got my head around resizing.
I'll give it a go. Thnx

Maybe you can try asking the guys from the shop, as its there printer and they have experience in this, they might be able to suggest you about what works batter.

Back