What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best preset for film effect wedding photos?

Hi guys,

I wonder how many of you have used this, presets on photoshop to achieve a film effect? Im editing my own pre wedding photos and just realised that people use a preset or action to do the editing to save time. Has anyone tried this before?

Any recommendations for which company’s presets that you've tried?

I should note that I only have high resolutions jpeg,photographer wouldnt sell me the RAW files so I'm not sure how useful the presets will be.

I have quite a lot of photos to edit, looking at maybe around 50? Enough to generate an album i hope.

Thanks so much!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Tom Mann

Guru
To be honest, I think you are putting the cart before the horse: There are a zillion different film effects (both commercial and free) available to PS artists, and you seem to be effectively asking complete strangers which of these we like, and, by inference, which you should use.

I think you would get much more useful answers if, instead, you post some examples of film effects that you and your husband like, and then come back and ask us how or where we would get a similar look.

That being said, one has to be extremely conservative when adding effects to important family images that you hope your grandkids and future generations will eventually treasure.

The 1st danger, of course, is that an effect that may seem to be wonderfully stylish and cool today will look as dated in 5 years as Afros, bell-bottom jeans and leisure suites now look to us. In fact, some effects have been so dreadfully overused that in just a year or two after their rise to popularity, every wedding photo mill has used these effects so heavily that they now look almost laughable to prophotographers and others in the wedding industry. Examples of this include the "everything-is-B&W-except-the-pink-flowers" effect, the film curve-crossing look (now this is even available on Instagram clones), the romantic over-exposed sun-in-the-lens, warm veiling glare look, etc. etc.

The sad part is that many wedding photographers are still advertising these effects as if they just invented them and BS clients who are not aware of such trends into believing that one of these effects is their particular "creative style", whereas, in fact, almost zero creativity was needed on their part.

The 2nd danger is you can't apply the same effect to all the pix in a set without it becoming glaringly obvious that you settled for a quick push-button approach instead of doing what's best for each image.

My recommendation is to use either no effects at all, and instead, rely on good classic timeless lighting and photography technique, or, if you really feel the need to break up the monotony a bit, apply efx on only a very small fraction of the images in the set, and then, only very sparingly. Just don't make the mistake of falling in love with effects like a lot of newbies to photography and post processing do. Pix like these are just too important to muck up.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

Last edited:

tuutuutuut

without image manipulations like retouching en masking etc. I would download Lightroom en in there its very user friendly to apply presets (including film effect)

try it out or watch on youtube about it.

Js06

I`ve tried some presets. I agree that they save you time but I prefer retouch photos by myself. It is really hard especially if you have a lot of work to do except this order. If you are looking for some presets, google some wedding retouching companies. Sometimes they give several free download able presets.