What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Tip for Newbies : Work Non-destructively

I just wanted to share a few tips with newbies regarding working non-destructively.

What is working non-destructively ?
This means we try, as much as possible, not to destroy the original pixels of the image.

1. Use Layer Masks instead of the eraser tool /copy and pasting pixels selected from another image.

2. Sample All Layers
When using the re-touching tools (clone stamp/spot healing brush/patch tool) turn on "sample all layers" , make a new layer above the layer(s) you are retouching. This way all the pixels you clone will be on the new layer instead of on the original layer.

3. Smart Objects
before transforming a layer, right click the layer and select "convert to smart object". This way when you resize a layer the is won't pixelate. Also you will be able to delete and mask filters applied to the layer.

If you want me to expand on these , let me know.

Thanks
Pixel Craft Training

4. Use adjustment layers instead of Image > adjustments.
Make a selection around what you want to brighten/ change colour / make black and white/etc

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the input.

The concept of non-destructive work is heavily promoted by our core members on a regular basis. This is not new to us.