What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black and White Effect

rold_gold

mp2.png

Hi there. The image above caught my attention because of the black and white, photocopied effect it had. I wanted to apply this effect to some other pictures I have, but I don't know how to! Thank you so much if you can help me!

(Is it done with vectors? It was a guess, but im probably incorrect)

Thanks JoeD, but I have found that the stamp filter makes the pictures rounded and a bit blotchy. Is there another way to carve out the specific facial details (I.e. guns, eyes, etc) in the black and white form?

rold_gold said:
Is there another way to carve out the specific facial details (I.e. guns, eyes, etc) in the black and white form?
How many ways do you want, because that's actually the beauty of Photoshop; so many ways to do things.

Try this:
  • Image/adjust/threshold and move the slider until you see what you like (ignore the noise).
  • Filter/blur/Gaussian blur (I don't have an exact radius that you should use, because that all depends on the resolution, but keep it low, enough to make the 'noise' disappear or fade away, whatever you want to call it)
  • To sharpen the final image; Image/adjustments/levels and move the top three sliders towards each other. How close to each other? That's when you have to experiment. Sometimes it's best to move them close to each other in the middle, sometimes left or right, again, experiment until you have a result that looks sharp and has all the black details you want.[/list:u]Don't forget and that counts for all methods to create these B&W images; with some images you will have better results than with others. Do make sure that you use images of a good quality and above all avoid those with lots of jpeg artifacts.

Something you may wish to consider. Try copying the red channel of your picture and pasting it to its own layer. Keep the layer set to blend mode normal. Then play with the levels to adjust the amount of white and black you want to have. You can erase, paint, or mask areas to clean them up and add to the stylized look.

Good solutions, JoeD and Moth. I got great results with a combination of the ideas. Copying the red channel to a new layer, adjusting levels until all three sliders were superimposed upon one another, and then running the Stamp filter did the best job for me.

This is one place where Adobe Streamline 4.0 is still great software.

Back