What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black and white points-using threshold

SITM

Hello All- I have an interesting issue. I am trying out something new that I thought would be rather easy to learn but seem to be getting the opposite result to what I had expected. I am trying to use threshold in PS CS6 to find my white and black points to set contrast, shadows, highlights...So my method was to first add a threshold adj layer. By adjusting the threshold all the way to the left then slowly bringing it back until I see some black appearing I then can see my black point. I use my color sampler to make me first adj point. Next I adjust the threshold all the way to the right and slowly bring it back until I see some white. This is now my white point so I make my second adj point here with color sampler. I now erase my threshold adj layer and add a levels adj layer. I select the black eye dropper on levels and select my first point representing my black point. Now I select the white eye dropper and select then my second point I made to represent my white point. This is when things go badly. My white point seems to darken my picture not lighten it.I have tries various pictures with the same result.....what is happening?Thanks

hawkeye

Guru
You can find the black and white points using curves or levels. Set the option to show black and white clipping then use each triangle sliders.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Open Threshold and slide to the left until only the darkest area still shows black and Shift Click on that spot.
Slide to the right and find the brightest area and Shift Click.
Then CANCEL out DO NOT click OK.

In Windows|Info you can see the RG&B values of the shadows and highlights.
Use Curves to get all the Shadows to 10 and all the Highlights to 245.

That "usually" gives you a good color correction, exposure and contrast.