What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PhotoShopLad

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!
New here and would appreciate some help please :)

Im fine changing colours of objects on images however im struggling to change a black leather chair into a cream leather chair...

Any tips or links to tutorials?

thanks in advance

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello PhotoshopLad and welcome to PSG.

Like so many things, leather can come in many varieties as does chairs and lighting. It's hard for us to offer help without seeing an example and having something to experiment with. Offering generic advice may not apply to your specific needs. Can you upload the image?

PhotoShopLad

Hi Sam
Thanks for getting back to me, absolutely...black chair attached and cream leather which im aiming for.Black.jpgcream.jpg
Thanks

I gave it a try by using the curves. But my result is far from good.

Possible reasons:
Too small image, too low resolution.
Almost no information in the blacks.

Possible solution:
Shoot a new professional image of the chair, if available in a lighter color, with softer lighting.

Black to cream chrisdesign .jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Yeah, I tried it too and could not accomplish a realistic look. Looks more like an illustration than a photo.
chair.PNG

PhotoShopLad

Thanks for your replies and attempts everyone, yeah looks like i will need to get a new photo taken :eek:.
Thanks anyway guys and gals

Tom Mann

Guru
Chris' suggestion to bit the bullet and take a new photo is right on the mark.

Certain types of global or semi-global adjustments to an image can't possibly produce good results if the image has certain properties that aren't global in nature, even if the image is otherwise excellent (ie, great resolution and bit depth, well lit, and other such parameters).

Specifically, for this image, IMHO, the main problem in attempting the transformation requested by the OP is the fact that the covering of the black chair shows strong specular reflections and a totally different type of texture compared to the cream colored chair. Curves, advanced blending modes, etc. just can't fix differences such as the pattern of specular reflections from the creases in the black material that are completely absent in the cream colored covering. Sometimes it is much more cost effective to fix the root cause of the problem, not try to fix it after the fact.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Ahh - I see I was typing at the same time as the OP.

re your last post: Good decision.

Tom M