What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Blender - 3D Space

fredfish

Guru
I love it Eggy - I take it that the background is PS - but does that include the sunburst? I am guessing so.

I love the texture on the rear opened door - looks like it has been in space. The nose cone is a bit too perfect if anything - perhaps the same type of texture on that as the rear doors.

Great work!! :thumbsup:

Cheers

John

MrToM

Guru
Some part are too sh.......ah, erm.......never mind.

Out of this world Eggster! :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Wonderful space scene Lambert.

I agree with Fred's suggestion to add the same texture from the rear door on the front part of the ship.
I think you should adjust the color of all the ship parts to a more blueish grey. They don't blend well with the BG.
A great job...can't wait to see the next step.

gedstar

Guru
Nice one Lambert, I'm sure that was a difficult one and looking forward to the end result :thumbsup:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I love it Eggy - I take it that the background is PS - but does that include the sunburst? I am guessing so.

I love the texture on the rear opened door - looks like it has been in space. The nose cone is a bit too perfect if anything - perhaps the same type of texture on that as the rear doors.

Great work!! :thumbsup:

Cheers

John

Thanks John!

Actually I'll have to start all over again and let me explain why.
First this started as an exercise in using the modifiers like bevel, smooth, solidify and subdivision...

There's a scheme to follow very strictly when working hard surfaces otherwise you'll get in trouble like me now.
Let me explain:
When composing with hard surfaces use the least amount of faces. Only when needed you can add faces on a specific spot.
Compose and bevel without using modifiers.
When done the whole composition then only use modifiers. They will eath your RAM mem...

In my case I made the exhaust (thing on the left wich is not the frontside) and applied the modifiers solidify, hard edge and subdivision.
That last one makes an incredible dense mesh impossible to alter. To apply UV mapping on that part I needed to apply a joint in the mesh to fit the texture and because of the dense mesh I could not select a joint!

So, make your composition (it may look crude but no worries) and then apply all the fancy 'smoothers'.

So John, the shiny thing on the left of the image is the last propulsion part of the satelite and the weary split globe the front...

And the background is applied in Blender!

Oops my tablets battery is cautioning me I have only 15% power left.

I'll explain more tomorrow.

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Wonderful space scene Lambert.

I agree with Fred's suggestion to add the same texture from the rear door on the front part of the ship.
I think you should adjust the color of all the ship parts to a more blueish grey. They don't blend well with the BG.
A great job...can't wait to see the next step.

Thanks Chris!

Tablets battery almost empty, explaitions tomorrow.

fredfish

Guru
Sorry Eggy - I certainly didn't want to make more work for you!

As you know my knowledge of the processes is minimal - is it not possible to apply a texture to the nose cone part of the satellite after it has been designed? I suspect not from what you have said. If that is the case then that is a big learning moment for me (and thanks for that).

I certainly think the model you have created is excellent - I just meant that the nose cone looked a bit new compared to the rest of the model.

I appreciate how much hard work must have gone it to it.

Cheers

John

Eggy

Retired Moderator
No problem John,

What I was suggesting is that one should 'build' the model completely with the standard mesh and texturise it.
Once that done you can complete the composition by using the modifiers so they wont affect the texture already done and that goes certainly for the subdivision.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
100.000 X sorry MrToM, but bad habits are though to quit... :biglaff:

I know it's UV mapping...

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I'd say I've reached the limits of my interesse in this project. I could add some more details but...
Also I was lazy, I used UV mapping for the outer skin of the satelite instead of mapping each part and/or extruding it.
I've said it before, I have the attention span of a goldfish. :rofl:

Space.jpg

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Sorry mate, nothing personal, just giving you a little nudge.

You are absolutely correct in what you say here...

...one should 'build' the model completely with the standard mesh and texturise it...

..but really it should read...

...one should 'build' the model completely with the standard mesh and apply materials to it...

Yeah I know, MrToM is picking flies again but look at the confusion caused here on PSG when members do not use the correct terminology....total chaos! :rofl:

I'm just trying to steer you away from those type of mistakes with the 3D stuff....that's not to say you personally made a mistake with PS BTW.

You are kind of right about the UV mapping although this is just a technique used to display the maps, rather than refer to the material as a whole...UV's should apply to EVERY map used, be that one set of UV's for every map or each map has its own set of UV's....whatever needs be.

Materials are constructed from many properties, and those properties are controlled by the use of a greyscale map, not a texture, which is in itself just one property of the material...like the diffuse colour, the glossiness, the opacity etc etc.

Using the term 'texture', (or any other conjugation), to mean anything but a material property is to me just plain wrong....used often, agreed...but that doesn't make it right.

Don't take that as a dig, its not, its just my Saturday afternoon 'spleen venting' before losing my shirt on a horse...

:deadhorse:

Regards.
MrToM.

PS...mine is the blind one with a cough, a limp and a tub of 'Vick' stuffed up its nose.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I know you're trying to bring me up with use of the correct terminology MrToM. :redface:

I thank you for that.

But I said it before, bad habits...

Now I'm going to take my BIC and a piece of paper and write one hundred times:

'I will apply materials to a 3D object'.

That should do it! :thumbsup:

:biglaff:

The horse thing you now, buying a quick pick Lotto may get you there, but a horse?

Last edited: