What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Blending seam from patching 2 heightmaps together

Acoustic

I need some help from one of you Photoshop users
Currently using GIMP's seamless clone tool in attempt to blend the border of 2 heightmaps that have been stitched together

Problem is, GIMP's tool crashes at the images native resolution of 4096x4096

being that it is critical that the image quality goes unchanged for the center image, I am curious if anyone with photoshop would give me a hand

Original image (with correct resolution): Mod edit: Please upload all images to forum

My edited image (with incorrect resolution): Mod edit: Please upload all images to forum

Also above is what I was able to accomplish but sadly had to downscale in order to do
The center heightmap isn't affected, only the outside one.

Original and my edited version both uploaded here

Original.png

Edited.png

There's a lot of artifacts and weird lines on blended area, which unfortunately won't work with a 3D renderer.

For some reason the original file I uploaded was resized to 3500x3500, I am uploading the correct size at 4096x4096 now but in JPG form

(edit) apparently the forums can't have images over 3500x3500. I will post another imgur link. I'd appreciate it if we could leave it this time, mods, as its the only way to get the full size image.

Hi acoustic. It is not clear to me of your specific requirements other than the center square should be left untouched. The link provided is the exact same image size in PNG and in the color space you provided with your image. All I did was a content aware fill outside center square yet not sure that meets all your requirements (stated or unstated)
Hope that helps
John Wheeler
PS - sometimes if multiple layers are involved, false artifacts can be seen that go away with either stamping to a single Layer and/or viewing at 100%

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uum38r3wz8qadyc/merge-borders.png?dl=0

So I am still getting those weird artifacts from your download, but tested and not getting them from the one I recently uploaded.

I then checked your image and I think it is due to the fact that you are exporting in 8bit rgb vs 16bit greyscale and it's losing the quality. Otherwise, it looks perfect and I am blown away.

Error.png

Sorry about that. I was comparing to a prior result and somehow it slipped into 8 bit mode (not sure how).
I updated the file in the prior link to 16bit mode version after re-running the content aware fill.
Let me know if it is fixed now or not. We will get there :)
John Wheeler

Back