What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blueprint effect

Stick

I wanted to know if anyone knew how to make a "blueprint effect" from a photograph in Photoshop or would this be more suited to Illustrator?

Welcome aboard stick.

Mark, the keeper, has an excellent tutorial in his PSG welcome page. Check that out :perfect: . You can do that effect in Photoshop.

If architectural, there's one given somewhere around. Let's see if I can find it.

Enjoy your stay.

vee

If you mean something like this :

blueprint.jpg

This is how I did it.

1) CTRL+A (select all)
2) CTRL+C (copy)
3) go the the channels pallette and create a new channel. CTRL+V (paste)
4) Filter>>Stylize>>Find Edges
5) Back to the layers pallette and create a new layer. (turn off the original layers visibility) CTRL+ALT+4 (loads Channel 4 as a selection). CTRL+ALT+I (to Inverse the selection) and fill with 5b79a1. DESELECT.
6) Create a new layer, drag it under the lines layer. Make your foreground color a light blue, and background a darker blue. Go Filter>>Render>>clouds. Go Filter>>Blur>>Motion Blur and make th direction vertical, amount 90 (or so)
7) Create a new layer at the bottom (above the background) and fill with white.

Then you may want to run the unsharp mask on the lines layer, or make a copy and play with layer modes.

Hope that helps.

:::BEGIN EDIT:::
Mark added the "Deselect" part to step 5. :)
:::END EDIT:::

Welcome aboard Stick! :)

Great attack/approach at Stick's query, docilebob! :perfect: I'll have to give that technique of yours a try! I like the results! :)

Stick, if you could post an 'example' of the "look" that you are going for, it would help tremendously. Suffice to say, that we are "guessing" here as to the effect that you're after. And again, suffice to say, everyone has their own (true, tried and tested) techniques to re-create specific effects! :\ At least, by posting an 'example image' you'll get more feed-back. ;)

Hi Stick, glad you were able to login now. Welcome! :perfect:

Hey excellent technique db, good stuff. :}

Vee...
The tute i created was for a Type effect, not converting a photo into a blueprint.

Ya Mark, I know. I didn't know what effect he was going for whether for text, image or texture.

That's a good one DocileBob.

Stick, I couldn't find that thread but I still have the psd file at home. I'll try to recreate it if you need it.

vee

[excited] Wow! Thanks for all the responses.
That technique from docilebob helped; just wondering if there was a way to "inverse" the finished drawing so that the drawing is white and the background is blue? ;\

I'm sure you could mess with the technique that DB posted and tweak it to whatever color scheme you wanted.

The other good, quick way of changing the color balance of an image is to apply a gradient map. Add a new gradient map adjustment layer for ultimate flexability. I'm sure you can find a decent one that would create a plausable effect, but if you can't it's not hard to build your own custom gradient and use that for the map.

The nice thing about this technique is that it could be done at any point. If you already used DB's technique and simply wanted to play with the colors, adding a gradient map adjustment layer would be perfect. You could add several and play with different settings until you got what you liked.

$0.02

p.s. welcome to Da' Forumz! ;) 8}

Try this Stick:

1. CTRL+A (select all)
2. CTRL+C (copy)
3. Open channels palette & create a new channel
4. CTRL+V (paste)
5. Image>Adjust>Threshold (play with the slider until you get the amount of detail that you want
6. Back to Layers Palette - Create a new layer and turn off the visibility of your original file
7. CTRL+ALT+4 (loads Channel 4 as a selection)
8. CRL+SHIFT+I (inverse secelection)
9. Fill with white
10. Creat a new layer under your white line layer & fill with blue

I just added the "Deselect" part to db's step 5.
Instead of filling the selection with the blue db mentioned, just use white. It works well. Looks good.

And here's a quick tip to help clean up your image should it need it...

Duplicate that channel you made. Apply LEVELS to it. Lower the white slider, and raise the grey slider just a bit. Removes the 'fuzzy' line details that can make the outlined image look to busy and congested, and the grey slider hardens the faint details a bit. Creating a more solid outline of the main elements.

Load and fill the selection as per db's instructions.

Yeah, great tecnique.

BTW nice avatar Mark :rofl: :rofl:

SAnby

Back