What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boy going fishing

gedstar

Guru
Hi Crystal

The sun is coming from the top left of the image hence the shadow should be in the opposite direction to what you have it, it should be behind the boy and to the right.
It's not a bad attempt, did you use some kind of filter? looks a bit over saturated

Sorry for the bad critique, but you are improving and it takes time! having said that I do like it :thumbsup:

Pipsmom

Guru
I used soft light on a layer and it enriched it greatly, I turn down the opacity but still the colors popped , maybe a little to rich and I did hesitate and question it.
I studied the suns position on the original for a long time and wanted practice work for something new to learn... "how to move light and redirect it" to a different position.... my intentions were to throw the light from the right to the left at about 2 o'clock so the full warmth was on the boys back, his leather boots, the red and white bobber and his shiny bucket.
Maybe I went about it all wrong, but that was the idea in my head .....and thats a dangerous thing :laugh:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Hey Crystal,
I agree with Ged on this, although you're improving...:thumbsup:
The light direction is off and what is that black-ish halo around the boys head?

With the light direction choosen by you this part (red) should be lit.

Untitled-1.jpg

Hi Crystal
You could solve the lighting problem in a very easy way. Just flip the boy horizontally..
Then the light sources of both images would be similar.

fredfish

Guru
I think it is beautiful Crystal. My only comment is that the boys shadow is just a bit too sharp.

It should get softer the further away from the boy.

You could do this by converting the shadow layer to a smart object.
Adding a gausian blur to the layer
Applying a black to white gradient on the filters mask

Great work! :thumbsup:

Cheers

John

fredfish

Guru
A quick example of what I mean (with layers showing)

Untitled-3.jpg

I know I haven't put a contact shadow on.

Cheers

John

Pipsmom

Guru
Excellent instructions John...... I have written all that down and made a screen shot for the next project
Cheers
Crystal

Pipsmom

Guru
Thank you Chris
I have forgotten my old work motto when I use to have a business
K. I. S. S.
(means, ( Keep it simple stupid )
Always works if you prone to over thinking a job :silly: