What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brush Issues

brispage

Hi all,

I first want to apologize for not having all the appropriate vocabulary - I'm going to try my best!

Starting yesterday, my brush tool stopped completely "erasing" part of a super-imposed image. I am trying to replace a baby's face in one photo by taking it from another photo. Every other time I've ever done this, after applying a mask, I've be able to completely "erase" all I wanted without any residue, but now I have a very faint edge line that I can't "erase." Unless it was unintentional, I haven't changed any settings from what I've always done. The brush opacity is at 100%. I've attached an image to show what my settings currently are. Any advice? You can see the line I can't get rid of on the little boy's face, to the left of his nose. It's fine, but it's driving me crazy!

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.53.53 PM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
Hard to know for sure without your PSD file to find the source of the line.
Here are some common issues
- Assuming you are painting on the Layer Mask with black or white, you need to verify that it is solid black or white or it won't totally erase of be totally solid respectively
- In less common cases resetting the brush cna sometimes solve the problem
- It is hard to see from the miniscule thumbnails yet it appears that the top Layer is a partial image with lots of transparency. I have seen cases where the transparency in the pixels has caused issues when using a Layer Mask at the same time - i.e. keeping straight which one or both is causing the transparency. I usually overlay a solid image and only use the Layer Mask for transparency to a avoid that issue.

If the above don't help, might be good to share you PSD file in the state of the image it is in right now.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
I should also add, that when you have the Layer Mask selected, check the property panel to make sure you are at 100% density. That is another area where problems such as this occur.
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 7.35.08 PM.png

brispage

Thank you so much!!! I thought my brush was black, but it apparently wasn't pure black - it's working like normal again :) Thank you!

thebestcpu

Guru
Glad it was that simple. Lots of ways for things to go bad and I have the learning scars from them to prove it :)
John Wheeler