What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brush Tool with custom brush

hkner70

Hello there. I have created a custom brush in Ps in the shape of a daisy.
The original photo I used to create the brush was of a drawn daisy and colored.
See below.
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 11.26.54 AM.png

When we use the Brush Tool and the Daisy brush, when we brush it, it turns into grayscales.
I dont want this.
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 11.28.52 AM.png

Is it possible to brush a daisy flower without changing its colors?

I want to brush the daisy flower with its own colors and spread it to the places where I move the mouse cursor, small, big and by turning it, so that my final result would look like the image below.
113322-c6de94ed2a11632e813b1dbcc12d42a2.jpg

Thank you.

Is it possible to brush a daisy flower without changing its colors?
No. Not with a Ps custom brush preset. Edit: Not without some planing and major extra work!

What you need to do is to use multiple copies of a real Daisy photo with the background removed and saved as a PNG file.
Open the Daisy PNG in a background document.
Duplicate many times.
Then position, resize, and rotate each copy with free transform. You can add a drop shadow to create depth.
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 11.52.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 11.54.19 AM.png

No. Not with a Ps custom brush preset. Edit: Not without some planing and major extra work!

What you need to do is to use multiple copies of a real Daisy photo with the background removed and saved as a PNG file.
Open the Daisy PNG in a background document.
Duplicate many times.
Then position, resize, and rotate each copy with free transform. You can add a drop shadow to create depth.
View attachment 129892

View attachment 129893
thank you. I know this process. I wanted to know if it's possible with the other option.

I'm confused. Are we talking about PS or AE?

Why can't you start the script? Is there an error message? How do you proceed?

I'm confused. Are we talking about PS or AE?
This was a Ps question that was in the wrong forum and has now been moved.

This was a question about making a custom Ps brush work in it's original colors. Which can not be done.

The idea was to have the custom brush to be used with brush settings such as scattering, shape dynamics, etc.

Example:
Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 8.30.22 PM.png

I had the idea to take the grayscale flowers produced by the custom brush and apply a gradient map to it, which would automatically color the flowers. The problem is that the yellow halo around the central eye of the flower has a similar luminosity as the shading on the white petals. So, I wasn't able to keep the petals white. But... this would be one way to brush-in numerous flowers with the custom brush and then automatically color them.

Original flowers produced by custom brush (with a Levels adjustment to boost contrast)
1653533964904.png

Result with Gradient Map:
Untitled-1.jpg

You can also use a pattern of your daisy and the random fill script from PS...

random fill.jpg
Disadvantage: One single layer is created. If you don't like the result, you have to start over. Also, "random" isn't really "random".

This was a Ps question that was in the wrong forum and has now been moved.

This was a question about making a custom Ps brush work in it's original colors. Which can not be done.

The idea was to have the custom brush to be used with brush settings such as scattering, shape dynamics, etc.

Example:
View attachment 129909
yes, but this process changes the daisy's own colors to gray. It does not do this with its original colors. I was trying to find a way around this. There is a fill and random fill menu, I know that too. but this is trading from its own panel. For example, I want to make a daisy distribution by making a letter "s". This is impossible in the random fill menu.

I had the idea to take the grayscale flowers produced by the custom brush and apply a gradient map to it, which would automatically color the flowers. The problem is that the yellow halo around the central eye of the flower has a similar luminosity as the shading on the white petals. So, I wasn't able to keep the petals white. But... this would be one way to brush-in numerous flowers with the custom brush and then automatically color them.

Original flowers produced by custom brush (with a Levels adjustment to boost contrast)
View attachment 129910

Result with Gradient Map:
View attachment 129912
I don't understand how photoshop can't perform such an operation. amazing...thank you

You can also use a pattern of your daisy and the random fill script from PS...

View attachment 129915
Disadvantage: One single layer is created. If you don't like the result, you have to start over. Also, "random" isn't really "random".
Yes, you are right. fill - random fill I know. but this is doing random operation. For example, I can't make an "s" made of daisies with an "s"-shaped movement, or any other way. this random fill returns random results.

What you want is not possible with Photoshop. Neither with one of the brush functions, nor with the available scripts.

As IamSam wrote, you can either do this by hand or use the script I linked, which at least does the creating, rotating and scaling of the individual elements for you.

You would then have to move the elements by hand.

If you have it, Illustrator might be the better tool for that job using symbols.
Screenshot 2022-05-26 110339.jpg

What you want is not possible with Photoshop. Neither with one of the brush functions, nor with the available scripts.

As IamSam wrote, you can either do this by hand or use the script I linked, which at least does the creating, rotating and scaling of the individual elements for you.

You would then have to move the elements by hand.
Yeah. there is no way to do this. what photoshop can't do that. thank you

For example, I want to make a daisy distribution by making a letter "s". This is impossible in the random fill menu.
Correct. You will not accomplish this with the Brush Tool or a random fill process.

But there are easy and fast ways to accomplish this! Ps is not limited to one technique. When one does not work, move on to the next.

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 7.52.47 AM.png

Correct. You will not accomplish this with the Brush Tool or a random fill process.

But there are easy and fast ways to accomplish this! Ps is not limited to one technique. When one does not work, move on to the next.

View attachment 129923
Sir, did you do this with photoshop? With what technique... Can you tell me?

Or, which path should I follow?

Sir, did you do this with photoshop?
Of course this was Photoshop!

With what technique
Same as I described in post #2 with the addition of using duplicated groups to speed the process.
Took me less than 5 minutes to accomplish.

Can you tell me?
I arranged the Daisy image manually as described in post #2.
There are 7 individual daisy image layers.
I then placed the 7 daisy image layers into a group.
I used Drop Shadows in layer styles to add depth to both the individual flowers and the Main group of flowers.
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 8.38.14 AM.png

Duplicate the group, and position....
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 8.39.22 AM.png

Repeat the process....
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 8.40.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 8.46.56 AM.png

Back