What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can somebody help transparent type text

rhunt

Hello to all, I need to know how I can get the text of this to look more transparent inside but to keep it outlined as is. Or is this to small of text. I am up for other ideas also on maybe a transparent text that will show up like a raised text. I don't know I am just a begginer so I am up for all ideas. I am trying to make a pic for a person I know that wants something like this under her name.

[/img]

Hi rhunt, welcome to the community. Hope you enjoy your stay. [honesty]

Here's an easy way to make your text look semi-transparent.
If you want it completely transparent, then you actually are wanting it to just be "outlined" (stroked). And without any "fill" colour to it.

Choose you colour, and type out the text you want to use.
Click on the "F" icon along the bottom of the Layers Palette (see image below), and within the Layer Styles menu that opens, go to the bottom and click on "Stroke". As soon as you do this, an outline will appear around your type. Set the options there to make the outline as thin/thick as you want. You can also use gradients for the outline if you prefer. Experiment with those options.

Once your type is outlined, click OK to apply the filter. When you're back on your Type layer in the Layers palette, look to the top-right of the palette. You'll see a small white space with the word "Fill" in it, and 100% to the right of that. Click the 100%, and drag the slider to the left. Take note how the fill colour of your type starts to dissappear/fade out. Set this to whatever level you want to create the effect you're after.

Hope that helps. [excited]

Well, the simplest way to make it transparent is to drop the opacity of the layer a bit. Create the text on a layer all to it's own. In the top right corner of the layer palette, there is an opacity option. drag the little slider down and watch the text become transparent.

If you want it to still have a solid outline you can select the text (ctrl+click the layer on PC) and on a new layer got to edit>stroke and stroke with a width of 1 px and on the outside.

Hope this helps.

Sanby

Sanby...
Good sound suggestion from you. :perfect:

The method i described however is the "non-destructive" method. The Type layer will not have to be Rasterized. Everything is still completely editable after the effects are applied. ;)

I'm slowly coming around to using the Layer Styles for a lot of somple things... it's there, may as well use it huh? Took me long enough to ligthen up my attitude toward them. ;\

Good tip there Mark - I never have used that 'stroke' before - works great :perfect: :perfect:

Never new about that MArk, thanks for the tip.

Wow, we posted in the same minute.

Sanby

Thanks you guys. I can't believe how fast a response I got. I am very greatful and it worked excellent. I have learned so much by just reading your guys post it is increadable.
Thanks so much.
Rhunt

Hey no problemo guys.
Glad it worked for ya rhunt. [excited]

Ya Sanby i usually just use the Stroke commend under the EDIT menu for most things. But when ya need to have an image element be flexible/editable, using the Layer Styles filters is the best option. :B

Mark

Great little tute! I've been trying to do something like this for the past week and its really easier than I was making it out to be.

Thanks 8)

Back