What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can someone help me create a gel button like this...

DanSaxton

Hi,

I'm trying to recreate the image below - i've pretty much done it all, but i'm struggling with the gel buttons that are dim / lit depending on state.
Can anyone talk me through how to make one of these please?
Many thanks in advance.
Dan
transponder.jpg

DanSaxton

Hi IamSam, thanks for your reply.
I spent some hours looking through various tutorials (YT and other) and couldn't find one that was what i am looking for.
I guess it's the translucent effect in the 'off' state and glowing in the 'on' state i was trying to achieve - with that plastic / gel button feel.
Dan

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let me do some experimentation to see if I can come up with a decent looking effect that you might like.

If you can provide any more examples of what your looking for, that would be great.

DanSaxton

that would be excellent - thanks IamSam!

I couldn't find anything better than the image above - this was the original.....
p-KT73-zoom.jpg

or this one......
20180208_194015.jpg

also - have you ever found a font that is more like the original than the one i'm using for the digital display?

thanks again!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a quick version. Since your recreation image was more flat and not in proportionate perspective, I created my button flat as well, so it lacks some depth.

This button represents the off position. Ive given it some perspective by offsetting the button and the drop shadow.
Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 3.41.44 PM.png

On position....
Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 3.59.33 PM.png

DanSaxton

they look great!
(the panel is flat because i'm using it on a flight sim panel management package).
would you be able to talk me through how you made that and how i can maybe get it to glow different colours in the 'on' position please?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
would you be able to talk me through how you made that
If I'm being honest.......it's doubtful. I used so many different steps that I don't think I could explain without extending this thread to multiple pages/days, so I will send you a link to the PSD File. That way you can study what I have done.

how i can maybe get it to glow different colours in the 'on' position please?
Everything is editable as I used adjustment layers for the colors.
Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 6.59.52 PM.png