What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canon 10D question

Sark

Power User
Hi all.

I'm thinking of buying a secondhand Canon 10D and just wondered if this had an internal autofocus motor, or required a motor in the lens.

I want to use this mostly with a standard 50mm lens to give a an 80mm equivilent focal length. So I want to know if it will autofocus with a standard 50mm AF lens.

Many Thanks

Sark

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
I don't understand, don't all Canon have a motor inside the lens? [confused] Having a camera with a motor would make all Canon lenses totally useless, so that wouldn't be a smart move by them, now would it? :D

legaultp

The Canon SLRs (both film and digital) all use the EOS mount (Electro-Optical System, also the name of the greek goddess of the dawn). The EOS system does not have a motor in the body, only in the lens.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Edited my previous post, because it looks like I was drunk. [stuned]
Of course they have it in the lens and not in the body, heck I even had an EOS 10 SLR. :rofl: No, Minolta always had it in their camera, that's how I got confused, because I actually had both. Personally I think the think the in-lens-motor idea works much better, with the Minolta I often had problems to get an accurate focus or maybe I was just unlucky. Got rid of all those heavy cameras though, absolutely no fun to carry around and although photography is my hobby (spent thousands on it in the past), I just don't have enough time for it anymore, hopefully that will change in the near future.

Sark

Power User
Thanks for all the replies.

I asked because I recently read an article that mentioned a particular Canon, can't remember which one, had no motor in the body and therefore only worked with more recent Canon autofocus lenses.
I just assumed some digitals had motors in the body and others in the lenses.

Thanks again

Sark