What's new

Canon 10D question

Sark

Power User
Hi all.

I'm thinking of buying a secondhand Canon 10D and just wondered if this had an internal autofocus motor, or required a motor in the lens.

I want to use this mostly with a standard 50mm lens to give a an 80mm equivilent focal length. So I want to know if it will autofocus with a standard 50mm AF lens.

Many Thanks

Sark

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
I don't understand, don't all Canon have a motor inside the lens? [confused] Having a camera with a motor would make all Canon lenses totally useless, so that wouldn't be a smart move by them, now would it? :D

legaultp

The Canon SLRs (both film and digital) all use the EOS mount (Electro-Optical System, also the name of the greek goddess of the dawn). The EOS system does not have a motor in the body, only in the lens.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
Edited my previous post, because it looks like I was drunk. [stuned]
Of course they have it in the lens and not in the body, heck I even had an EOS 10 SLR. :rofl: No, Minolta always had it in their camera, that's how I got confused, because I actually had both. Personally I think the think the in-lens-motor idea works much better, with the Minolta I often had problems to get an accurate focus or maybe I was just unlucky. Got rid of all those heavy cameras though, absolutely no fun to carry around and although photography is my hobby (spent thousands on it in the past), I just don't have enough time for it anymore, hopefully that will change in the near future.

Sark

Power User
Thanks for all the replies.

I asked because I recently read an article that mentioned a particular Canon, can't remember which one, had no motor in the body and therefore only worked with more recent Canon autofocus lenses.
I just assumed some digitals had motors in the body and others in the lenses.

Thanks again

Sark