What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cant find that tutorial...

billiewebbjr

;\ Yesterday I came across a neat little tutorial that created a globe on the background of a galaxy. The tut was really neat and simple. It was so simple I thought I'd never forget it and I didn't bookmark the URL. Today I can't find it and I can't remember the procedure.

Can anyone help me locate the URL for that tutorial.

ThanX
Billie

I came up with this result when I applied the tut to my own means.

mmm... no idea bout that, sorry. BUT...

1) Import the moon texture photo into your sky/galaxy photo. Make sure it's above the sky/galaxy photo layer.

2) Create a circular selection within the photo where you want the moon to appear.

3) Add a Layer Mask to the layer.

Done. :)

If you should want to move the moon around in the image, do one of these:
1) Choose the Move tool, and click hold & drag on the moon layer around.

2) Click on the chain link between the layer and it's mask. That disconnects the two. Now click on the Layer Mask, and using the Move tool, drag the circle mask around the photo.

If you wish to, although i don't recommend it, you can add another step after #3 -- under the SELECTION menu choose "Feather" and set it to 2-3 pixels.

That should do it. ;)

Thank you very much for your help.
The really cool thing about the tutorial was its neat use of gradient light, render light, and embossing to give the sphere a 3D and textured appearance.

I've spent a day backtracking my web tracks from yesterday trying to find that tutorial.

ThanX for your suggestion. I appreciated it.
Billie

Welcome aboard billiewebbjr! :) Oooooh... was the tutorial that you were looking for strictly for a moon? If so, I will take a look-see when I have a chance... otherwise, the link that dv8fx (Vee) has posted might be what you are looking for or at the very least, could be adapted to suit your needs? :\ Let us know... ;)

I appreciate your help. The tute began with two images of my choice. A background of a galaxy and a moonscape from which to extract a cirle.
The circle was moved to the background. The remainder of the tute was devoted to developing a believable 3-D image from the circle.

I've investigated various other tutes on constructing orbs and spheres that are included in this thread. They are more sofisticated and complex than the one I'm searching for, but none of them use the simple tools and simple technique as the one I'm searching for.

ThanX for your effort,
Billie

;) You're welcome, Billie... Just give me some time. I've been away from the boards for a couple of weeks and it'll take me some time(at the very least) to "catch up" but now I know "exactly" what it is you're looking for. And, when time permits, I will do an exhaustive search for you. ;)

We also have another Mod who has been away and who should be back from vacation soon, named Gaussian. He seems to know the net "inside and out" and if he's run across it, I'm sure that he'll be equally pleased to help you relocate the tute that you're after. :)

Don't despair... :) In the meantime, I really like theKeeper's solution and it's one that you might want to experiment with. ;)

Back