What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canvas resizing

rtcary

What is the easiest way to change the canvas size of an already cropped print that is in a standard size?

Sometimes I need to crop an image to a size that is not 4 X 5. Currently, if it is a horizontal image, I take the vertical height and multiply it by 1.5 to have the 3 X 2 dimension. With that I create a new canvas that size and copy the image to it. That works, but is there a simpler way to accomplish this.?

Thank you for any suggestions...

\rtc

Hi rtcary
If you have a W x H image that is 5 x 4 (horizontal) aspect ratio "and" you want to crop within those image boundaries to a smaller total area of an aspect ratio of W x H = 3 x 2 (still a horizontal image), then the math would be to multiply the width by 2/3 to get the desired height.
Now I may have misunderstood what you are trying to do yet if I am correct, there is an easy way to do this with no math at all.
With the image in PS select the entire image (marching ants around entire image). Most easily by using CMD + A (Ctrl + A for PCs)
Choose the crop tool (entire image should be selected with crop tool boundaries)
In the options tool set the crop to 2:3 (that will show a vertical 2:3 crop)
Click the "X" key to change the crop to horizontal
You can complete the crop by clicking the checkmark in the options bar (optionally with delete pixels checked or not depending on what you desire)
Done

I think this does it for you or if not, please clarify what you desire
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

ADDED EDIT: If you wanted to have a W x H aspect ratio and blank area added to the left and right of the image, that is a different matter. So just speak up on more specifics as I am sure there is any easier way no matter your end objective

Last edited:
<<< ..."and" you want to crop within those image boundaries to a smaller total area ... >>>
Actually, I want the 4 X 5 for example to fit *into* one of the standard ratios: 2 X 3 or 5 X 7. As I said above, I create a canvas using a little arithmetic into which one of the dimensions fits perfectly leaving a white border. Just wondering if there is an easier way where LR or PS will do the calculation.

With appreciation...

\rtc

Hi rtcary

To create a canvas that totally fits the W x H 5 x 4 image into a 3 x 2 aspect ratio is following the stops I had above and adding one more step (full instructions below with added step)

- With the image in PS select the entire image (marching ants around entire image). Most easily by using CMD + A (Ctrl + A for PCs)
- Choose the crop tool (entire image should be selected with crop tool boundaries)
- In the options tool set the crop to 2:3 (that will show a vertical 2:3 crop)
- Click the "X" key to change the crop to horizontal
- Now with the Option Key held down (may be different if you are on earlier versions of PS) which is ALT key on PCs, stretch the crop tool from one of the corners until it encompasses the entire original 5 x 4 image (not if you have "Snap To" turned on for document bounds then it will snap to the the exact edges of the 5x4 image.
- You finish by clicking the checkmark in the Crop Tool options bar and you will end up with an image with white added to the left and right if you you worked from a background image (could be transparent pixels if not background layer I believe

So you don't have to calculate the dimensions, PS will create it exactly correct.
Hope this helps some
John Wheeler

Your welcome and let us know if you have any issues with the approach. Older versions of PS use different keyboard keys when stretching crop tool boundaries and keeping the aspect ratio and keeping the center point. I was using CC 2019 for the instructions I gave.
John Wheeler

Works as advertised!! Many thanks.

There was a hidden gotcha due to how I ran the first test. To save time (or so I thought), I copied a file from a LR directory to a test area. Then I used the file in PS and cropped it to 4X5 and saved it so labelled. So far, so good. Then I used (Cmd-A) and selected the Cropped Tool. The moment I enter the "3" for the 2X3 cropped, the original full sized image appeared.

When I brought it into PS, the image was marked as RAW even though it was taken in JPEG. Since I seldom take pictures in JPEG (this time it was by mistake), I did not realize that LR embeds XMP info into the JPEG (forgot that), so PS processed with the ACR (should have noticed something unusual at that point) and when I tried to use the Crop Tool, the original size was still embedded.

To get a good test file, I used LR to created the 4X5 and everything worked as advertised!!

I did not know about using the Option/Alt key. Usually Shift keeps an aspect ratio.

Thanks again.

Glad it worked for you. Yes there are some gotchas when you crop and don't delete pixels. Glad you got it figured out.
John Wheeler

Back