What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

canvas setup

chuckles_82

Is there any way to make it so that when I place an object on my canvas, if I move it across to the left, any overhang comes back in on the right, and vise versa. Also, the same for top/bottom? I have no idea what you would call that, so google fails me.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Something like this???

Red-Apple_01.png

If the answer is yes.........then not that I know of! Sorry. I used two layers moved independently.

chuckles_82

Yes, exactly. I guess I might have to stick with cutting things in a new layer or document. So far, to get exactly half, I've been placing the object on a new canvas of exact size, then halving the canvas size, copy paste, then undoing and repeating for the opposite side. But where I don't need exactly half, your method would be less work.

Tom Mann

Guru
Filter / other /offset

top = before
bottom = after

HTH,

Tom M

Attachments

• offset_dialog_box.jpg
    offset_dialog_box.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0317-tjm01-acr-ps02a_650px_wide-shows_image_offset_use-01_698px_hi.jpg
    DSC_0317-tjm01-acr-ps02a_650px_wide-shows_image_offset_use-01_698px_hi.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 11

chuckles_82

Ahh thank you so much Tom :) Exactly what I need. I have a tool that is designed to do this actively (you don't have to tell it, it just does it) but in all other ways the tool is vastly inferior to image editing software, and there's no way to transfer the information between programs short of using the snipping tool/screen capture.

Tom Mann

Guru
You are quite welcome! I'm glad it was what you needed.

FYI, the image offset feature is used a lot when one is preparing seamless textures in PS.

Cheers,

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tom, thanks so much for showing us this feature! I never would have known it existed. I can see a great use for this already for creating patterns.