What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carve or Hewn a Flat-like Surface

Vmusic

Hi,
I am trying to find an effect or action that makes an existing flat surface look like it was carved or hewn or chiseled to make it flat. I have a picture here with this post that has the type of effect I want. These are hand hewn logs. In fact it looks too perfect, I like something with even a more human touch if possible. It's kind of like little and large divots in the flat surface.

PLEASE - what I want has nothing to do with text effects. There a bazillion of those out there, but it's not what I need.

I've tried to search online for this, but I keep finding chiseled text or letters....aaahhhh..... I want a flat carved or chiseled FLAT surface.

Thanks in Advance!!
Alex

wood-carve.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Alex
Filter Forge has thousands of textures and I pulled up a wood effect. I took a screen cut and paste below so you can see you have total adjustments over the desried effect (other tabs control lighting).
Not the cheapest way to go yet thought it would be good to put a general texture program to consider.

John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 9.19.38 PM.png

fredfish

Guru
Sorry its my first month on photoshop

Please keep chipping in - I agree with IamSam that you miss-understood - but your suggestion may still have given some ideas to someone - keep up with your photoshopping (and perhaps show us some of your work sometime :) )

Cheers

John

Vmusic

Thank you everyone for your replies. I looked at Filter Forge.... and I'm not overly "feeling" a nice hewn or carved out effect, it seems more like a displacement map or a texture applied to some object underneath.
I actually haven't tried the Filter-> Render->Fibers effect before in PS, and it's a welcome filter, rather than the old school motion blur (less work in my book is better).

I played around with the stained glass tile like filter to kind of make the area inside the stained glass tiles where the ax or chisel would have carved, and then create a bevel/emboss filter to raise up the edges of the stained glass tiles. It's too sharp/too contrasted. Carving is more subtle.

Thanks again - it's kind of odd after all these years there's not an automated action or filter commercially available for this.

Vmusic

I wonder..... if somebody has some PS brushes that are like "chisels" or "axes" --- where depending on the pressure it would carve into the wood or material???