What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Certification

Possum169

I'm a Freelance Photographer and I'm moving in a graphic designer direction. I'm looking ahead to invest in my business/skillset and wanted to know has anybody went down the road of certifications and if so has it benefited you and which ones are company's most looking for?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Stick with Photography! You will make more money! A very close friend of mine moved to the Dallas area two years ago and is making a killing doing High School and College sports photography.

Serious companies don't hire many freelancers. They usually use design firms.........who do occasionally hire freelancers. Online work is too hard, insecure (people steal your ideas), highly competitive, and has a high burn out rate. I'm not saying you can't make some money, but if you want the serious bucks, concentrate on local businesses and design firms. Keep your portfolio off the public internet. It should only be made available by request.

What certifications are you asking about? Like Photoshop?

If so, anyone can be certified in Photoshop.........literally anyone! You don't even have to use Ps to be certified. A certification has no bearing at all as to how good a person is at using Photoshop. Most folks certified in Ps make better technical advisors. Having said this, I totally support anyone who feels as though a certification may offer some advantage. One never knows. It may certainly improve your underlying knowledge of Ps functions. But as it relates to business, I say your work speaks louder than any certification.

ushere

+ 100% iamsam

times have changed dramatically over the last decade or so. you're either employed / on contract, or working a poorly paid gig economy. freelancers are, unfortunately, a dime a dozen, and getting that rate too..

Possum169

Stick with Photography! You will make more money! A very close friend of mine moved to the Dallas area two years ago and is making a killing doing High School and College sports photography.

Serious companies don't hire many freelancers. They usually use design firms.........who do occasionally hire freelancers. Online work is too hard, insecure (people steal your ideas), highly competitive, and has a high burn out rate. I'm not saying you can't make some money, but if you want the serious bucks, concentrate on local businesses and design firms. Keep your portfolio off the public internet. It should only be made available by request.

What certifications are you asking about? Like Photoshop?

If so, anyone can be certified in Photoshop.........literally anyone! You don't even have to use Ps to be certified. A certification has no bearing at all as to how good a person is at using Photoshop. Most folks certified in Ps make better technical advisors. Having said this, I totally support anyone who feels as though a certification may offer some advantage. One never knows. It may certainly improve your underlying knowledge of Ps functions. But as it relates to business, I say your work speaks louder than any certification.
Thank you so much for the feedback is exactly what I was looking for. I am looking to maximize my earning potential as a freelancer so from what I understand your advice would be, learn the apps to improve my portfolio. I am now working with Lightroom and Photoshop. Is there another app I should be working on to maximize my creative potential?

Possum169

+ 100% iamsam

times have changed dramatically over the last decade or so. you're either employed / on contract, or working a poorly paid gig economy. freelancers are, unfortunately, a dime a dozen, and getting that rate too..
What are of photography and production have you seen flourish or is more lucrative? I'm looking for a new career after I retire from my current job.

ushere

What are of photography and production have you seen flourish or is more lucrative? I'm looking for a new career after I retire from my current job.
well i'm now, somewhat, retired (thank goodness), but i always believed in finding a niche and exploiting it. i also believe, after having experienced both extremes, it's better to be a big fish in a small pond than a sprat in the ocean - i found my skills much more in demand, and more lucrative when i left the city and set up shop in a rural area, which i had intended simply retiring to it 20+ years ago ;-)

i'm sure there's a great many people around who can point you in better directions, but from where i am, certain skills are in demand - property photography, animal 'portraiture' for auctions and sales, and let's not forget corporate style talking heads for websites, or approaching local personalities for web blogs, etc...

i haven't mention graphic design, etc., simply because in my recent experience, unless you're exceptional, and recognised as such, i can post a job on freelancer.com and have a myriad of artist supply excellent work for the cost of a business lunch. sad times indeed.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you so much for the feedback is exactly what I was looking for. I am looking to maximize my earning potential as a freelancer so from what I understand your advice would be, learn the apps to improve my portfolio. I am now working with Lightroom and Photoshop. Is there another app I should be working on to maximize my creative potential?
You're very welcome. I hope you're talking about your earning potential as a freelance photographer and using Ps and Lr to improve your photos and portfolio! No certificates really needed unless you think it could help you with your understanding of the software. Ps with ACR and Lr should be all you need to improve your photos. Remember, less is more.

Possum169

well i'm now, somewhat, retired (thank goodness), but i always believed in finding a niche and exploiting it. i also believe, after having experienced both extremes, it's better to be a big fish in a small pond than a sprat in the ocean - i found my skills much more in demand, and more lucrative when i left the city and set up shop in a rural area, which i had intended simply retiring to it 20+ years ago ;-)

i'm sure there's a great many people around who can point you in better directions, but from where i am, certain skills are in demand - property photography, animal 'portraiture' for auctions and sales, and let's not forget corporate style talking heads for websites, or approaching local personalities for web blogs, etc...

i haven't mention graphic design, etc., simply because in my recent experience, unless you're exceptional, and recognised as such, i can post a job on freelancer.com and have a myriad of artist supply excellent work for the cost of a business lunch. sad times indeed.
Thanks for this valuable feedback. Makes perfect sense...

Possum169

You're very welcome. I hope you're talking about your earning potential as a freelance photographer and using Ps and Lr to improve your photos and portfolio! No certificates really needed unless you think it could help you with your understanding of the software. Ps with ACR and Lr should be all you need to improve your photos. Remember, less is more.
This is very valuable info. I Don't Mind Investing in myself but don't want to waste time and money. So mastering software to improve my photos is better than worrying about some certification from what I've read does not really deal with the creative aspect.

ushere

in the arts world, a good portfolio beats any certification hands down. certification and the like are, imho, only of benefit when pursuing an academic career.

having run a successful production and post-production facility for many years, i was constantly approached by individuals looking for work - after a couple of years it soon became quite clear that even a modest amount of real world experience, or a well presented portfolio, beat any degree or certification.