What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change an image with another (taking its shape)

Gooday to all,
i'm new in the forum and a newbie in photoshop. I've to do a flyer for a music band, and i have to substitute a shaped image with another. This second one should take the shape of the original one on the same layer. How can i do it?

image.png

Thanks a lot

OK

I made a selection of each part with the Pen Tool and grouped them layers, then open up your photo and place it on top of the group adjust size to suit and Clip the layer to the group layer

Untitled.jpg

No just make a selection of each part and CTRL J to copy each part to it's own layer, once you have all the parts selected select all the layers by shift clicking each one and then hit CTRL G to group them together.
Open up the photo and place it on top of the group and then right click on the photo layer and select Create Clipping Mask

Just in case you want to add different photos to each section

Make a selection with the Pen Tool
pen tool.jpg

Right click and select Make Selection
make selection.jpg

CTRL J to copy that selection to a new layer
selection 1.jpg

Add your image to the top of the layers stack
add image.jpg

Right click and select Create Clipping Mask
clipping mask.jpg

Result
result.jpg

Repeat for each section

If you want one photo in all sections
Repeat the steps above to create each section on a new layer
selection 1.jpg

Each selection on it's own layer and layers selected then hit CTRL G to group the layers
select layers.jpg

Resize image to cover all of the sections and again right click to create clipping mask
resize image.jpg

Result
result1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Do you mind if I ask you a question about the image? Is this a pre-made template mock-up?

I ask because it appears to read "YOUR IMAGE" in each of the cells. If this is a mock-up that uses smart objects, the work is already done for you and it would only take a few minutes to add the images to the cells.

Just curious.

There's no problem with that Frankie! People use them all the time and it just makes our job much easier. If you post or link us the original file (mock up) we can demonstrate how to use it. It will certainly make your life easier.

Thanks for that!

Just in this example I went to the bottom layer and added a photo above that layer and created a clipping mask as I previously described, you'll need to resize the photo to fit!
Then I selected layer 3 and added another photo above that layer and again clipped it to that layer
attach image.jpg

Forgot the mention you'll need to disable the already clipped layers
disable layers.jpg

Last edited:

Back