What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clarifying/Lightening Glass to look more natural on white

mmlangon

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on touching up some photos of a product I make, and would really appreciate any direction you can give. It's a homebrewing kit housed in a wooden base, and has proven a bit tough to isolate on white as there are a lot of glass components involved. I'm trying to mimic the look of the middle photo, where the glass matches the white background - this was done professionally and unfortunately I can't access to this setup - the photo on the left is my attempt to recreate the look. Isolating the outline is simple enough, but I'm having a lot of trouble tweaking the color of the two glass jugs closer to white without totally washing them out. Do you guys have any ideas to come a little closer to that transparent white look? The last photo is my starting point. Any advice is hugely appreciated. Cheers!

doublebarrel3.jpgsku2gallon-6cqjw2g.jpgDSC_0015.jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi
Welcome to our forum! Make yourself at home.
Try the Dodge tool set to about 10% exposure and midtones. See if that will help you. The more you crank up the exposure the whiter it will get.

Moved this up to about 30%
jugs.PNG

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Something more like this.......

LighteningGlass_01.png

Added the tall cylindrical thingy......

LighteningGlass_02.png

If so, it just a curves adjustment layer, set much brighter, with a conceal all layer mask. I used the Pen Tool and the Brush Tool to fill in the mask with white to reveal the brighter BG of the bottles in the adjustment.

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 6.09.57 PM.png

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
You can also use the dodge tool on the background to whiten it if you like.

You can also load it in the ACR filter and jack up the whites with the slider.
This was with dodge tool set to 100% exposure

dodgetool.PNG

Last edited:

mmlangon

Thanks so much for the responses - I ended up making a new layer with glass only and playing with the curves, then feathering the edges to define the borders of the glass a bit.

Cheers!