What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clear Glass

CocaColin

I would like to be able to recreate the clear glass effect that is used on the picture here. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to be able to put the clear glass over any type of base.

G

Hi CocaColin and welcome to the board :perfect:

I don't understand what you want to know, since the example is right in front of you; dark border, a dark area in the upper left corner, a highlight with a glow, lighter background, etc. Just copy what your eyes see, that's all ;)

Alistair

Guru
gaus, I think you misunderstood colin (ill use that nickname), he wants a tutorial on how to make a glass sphere, one that has a low opacity that can be put over any base and look just right ;) You could just buy this plug-in that includes glass sphere (further down the page). note: if your using netscape, let the page load before scrolling, or it will go whacko on you [stuned] I am a glass sphere master, but I just never make them :D Im thinking about my avatar soon ;)
Some good ones can be found here. Glassy Globes is a very good one (its further down the list), and The fastest sphere in the west, but only do the tut to the 2nd from last step on this tut.

Heres a good one but if you ask me, I think its a little to dark.

Well, hope that helps! [slick]
And remember, if the sphere can't be seen through, try the opacity, or the best, a blending mode. I don't know what one is the best, mabee overlay, or something like that. But I know screen makes it to pale. [:I

Well, good luck :D ;)

G

Alistair said:
gaus, I think you misunderstood colin
I didn't misunderstand him. This is what he asked "I would like to be able to recreate the clear glass effect that is used on the picture here"
He was not talking about "a" clear glass effect, but "the" glass effect.
If he does exactly what this guy did in his design, then he won't have a problem to copy this effect on any design he has.

Alistair

Guru
gaus, you can't just look and then do. Its not complicated, I know, but he's not talking about the base as you were earlier, and the sphere, you could probably get better, but the ones I suggested... If you spend more time on those and give them a couple more effects than needed, you'll get a perfect sphere ;)

wbiss

Guru
Firstly, welcome aboard CocaColin! :)

Glass spheres... hmmm.... as other members on this forum know, I've had some "experience" with making them and their counterparts (crystal spheres)... [innocent]

Apart from buying a "plug in"... yes, as Gaussian has pointed out, it's all a matter of "lights" (relections/refractions) and "shadows". Your 'eye' really is your best guide and the example that you posted can be created in PS without the use of plugins! ;) It's a matter of exercising not only your eye, but some perseverence in attempting to produce what you see!

Best of Luck! ;)

theKeeper

Guru
Hi Colin, welcome to the community. We hope you enjoy your stay. [honesty]

I too am a big fan of trying to 'mimic' an effect by studying it's basic properties and characteristics visually. If you're at all familiar with how to create shapes in PS, and things like using the Gradient tools, then it wouldn't take long to get started in the right direction for this, or any other effect you might wish to try creating.

The strongest characteristic in the example you posted is the reverse Radial gradient used. i.e. the highlight sits over the darker part of the gradient. This creates a kind of psuedo 3D depth effect.

However... if you get stuck and need a push, try reading over the initial post in this thread: http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=888&highlight=glass+spheres

Hope that helps.

CocaColin

What I've got

I think that Gaussian had it right... but for me it is not quite as simple as for him (or her just in case) This is what I've made.. I don't think it looks quite right though. I have been staring at these so long now I don't see glass at all. Thanks for all the suggestions you have made.. and will make I hope

CocaColin

Staring too long!

Wow, I really have been staring at this too long.. is it my imagination or does the original example have a little shading all the way around? Of course at the top left there is a lot, but how about the bottom right?

Sanby

Power User
That's a good start but I think what your mising that would make it look a bit more complete is the bottom shadow. If you notice the bottom right of the glass there is a tiny bit of a shoadow. You don't consiously realize it's there but it adds to the overall effect of the sphere. Here is my crack at it. I can send you the .psd if you like this and find that it might help.

Sanby

CocaColin

Glass

That one's quite a bit nicer than mine.. I'm relieved I'm not the only one seeing shadowing there... thanks

Sanby

Power User
Yeah that's looking a lot better. But maybe tone down the background, it hard to see the sphere.

Sanby

sPECtre

Guru

wbiss

Guru
Looking good CocaColin! :perfect: Just a couple of things that I would do.

1. Add some distortion to the background behind the ball (a natural phenomenon)
2. Add a drop shadow
3. Add an interior highlight
4. Soften edges

This is a "quick & dirty" example, using only your single layer gif file. You can do a much better job working with your original layers! ;)

CocaColin

Final?

Well this is the effect on the base that I plan on using it. I think a few of the improvements mentioned would not really work on this but I did use a few of them. Let me know what you think and thanks for all the great advice... really! I learned a lot
hmm just noticed that it is still really big, the one I am making is quite a bit smaller and looks better that way

wbiss

Guru
Aaaaaah... it's a "dome" effect you were after! :\
Now that looks really great CocaColin! :perfect:

Alistair

Guru
CocaColin, that would do really good for like a winamp 3 skin (if you know the coding) or something! It looks great :perfect: :perfect: What's it for?