What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clipping mask

evren

i have a layer with gradient overlay and i want to create a clipping mask another layer but when i do this the gradient overlay covers that layer.

any way to solve this without rasterizing the layer with gradient overlay? or without using layer mask?

u can see my psd

Attachments

• ccc.psd
    150.1 KB · Views: 1
i think i found a solution. i made blend mode of the gradient overlay multiply

i think i found a solution. i made blend mode of the gradient overlay multiply
This is not really the solution and neither is a clipping mask.

When using multiply on the gradient overlay, you change the color of the rectangle layer. This is fine if the color change does not bother you.
Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 10.03.32 AM.png

The more appropriate solution is to use a LAYER MASK. Then the colors of the rectangle layer stay the same as you made them.
Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 10.04.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 10.07.40 AM.png

yes i was thinking layer mask but it sometimes leaves spaces at the edges

yes i was thinking layer mask but it sometimes leaves spaces at the edges
It shouldn't leave edges if you are using the actual type/text layer to make the selection for the layer mask. Just mouseover the type/text layers thumbnail, hold Cmd/Cntrl and click to make the selection.

Back