What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Color adjustment question

chrish

Hi all :)

I've been playing around with tinting a world map blue and I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far, the only thing I'd like to change is to tone done the bright white lines around the continents, while preserving the rest of the colors. How can I tone down just the whites but leave the rest more or less the way it is. I thought there was a funtion in PS which lets me adjust just the midtones, highlights and dark areas....but I can't find it...

Chris

Erik

Guru
If it's only a question of making them less bright, I suggest the Image>Adjust>Selective color. In the dialog, choose white as colour and drag all sliders to the right.

If this isn't sufficient, just say so, and we go on. There are several methods, some even more complicated than others...

wbiss

Guru
chrish:How can I tone down just the whites but leave the rest more or less the way it is. I thought there was a funtion in PS which lets me adjust just the midtones, highlights and dark areas....but I can't find it...
As Erik has pointed out, there are many ways to go about this and he has suggested one. ;)

Just looking at your image, the first thing that I would opt (try) would be a "curves adjustment". Image/Adjustments/Curves. For a good explanation as to how these feature works, check out
http://www.apple.com/creative/resources/ttphotoshop/605curves.html

Best of luck to you! :)

chrish

Thanks a lot :) I didn't get much effect out of the curves altho I tried quite a bit, I guess I have to get more familiar with that. I did however have some succcess with the color replacement tool and the good old paint bucket....and I'm getting a lot closer to getting rid of the glow...

Stroker

Power User
I did some playing with this and I can't get it. I tried quite a few tricks, too. I think your best bet would be to start over with a "cleaner" image. Try playing with some of these maps: Earth. Bear in mind that those maps are for spherical wrapping, so they are a little distorted compared to the map that you already have. If you want to try to fix the distortion, you can use the ideas in The Bulge.

BTW, you can adjust highlights/midtones/shadows with Image > Adjust > Variations. This is one thing that I tried and didn't have any luck... or was it patience?

chrish

Cool maps! Thanks a lot :)

Also the Variations tool is awesome...even tho it didn't help much with this prob, as you said, but I never used this...damn...and it's right there in the menu, talk about not seeing the forest for the trees, lol :)

Chris